SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

slow leak in Merit 25

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 ·
My boat is docked in a lake that is not a constant level. because of drought conditions that started 1-1/2 yrs ago, my Merit 25 was high and dry on its keel and port side during that time. (I was unable to move it ahead of the drought because of serious illness). we now have water in the lake and the boat has a slow leak. any ideas on what it likely is and how i might rectify this?

#2 ·
It is my understanding that the Merit 25 has a keel attachment issue. I took a look at one on Lake Norman many yrs ago. The keel had movement when hung in a cradle. If yours also has a less than desirable keel attachment, this could be your problem and require reattachment and sealing. There are many Merits in the SF bay, perhaps some of the local full service marinas could give you advice on this subject.

#3 ·
i think roline is correct, especially given that your boat was resting on its side, putting a good deal of lateral stress on the hull-keel join.

#4 · (Edited)
First, determine were the leak is coming from. Windows, through hulls, hatches, all leak.

Second, if it does turn out to be the horrible "keel wobble" then you have delamination issues if the water is getting inside the boat through the hull. The stringers weren't built strong enough to give much lateral support. Check out skedaddle yacht club, it has many pictures about the repair and links to the Merit 25 home page, which hasn't been updated in over a decade. But the skedaddle site is alive and well.

Get the boat hauled in a travel lift and check the keel for wiggle or wobble after you make sure you've ruled out everything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.