Fenders? Really? Yep I have a question about Fenders... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-11-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Buy the cheap fenders. I get most of mine from the dumpster. Before west marine's "sale" those fenders were $75 each. CRAZY!!!

The only thing I'd check about your fenders is do they deflate. Some super cheap ones don't and that makes them harder to store when you're cruising and the ones I have seen that don't deflate die pretty quickly.

Cheap fenders are fine. Don't get ripped off just because it's "marine".

MedSailor
I remember when I was doing me sailing course in the Virgin Islands. We were getting read to go one day and a fender was floating by. The captain grabbed it with a boat hook, hauled it on board and called to each boat was we left the harbor. No one claimed it so he kept it. The thing was HUGE, bigger than any fender on the boat at the time.

I remember thinking "These things must not cost much if people let them float away."

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that Attwood bilge pumps are generally poorly regarded. They don't even use tinned marine grade wire in their leads.

As for fenders... those are fine fenders, but probably too small for your boat. Getting inexpensive fenders that are too small to protect your boat is penny-wise and pound-foolish IMHO.

A 33' boat should really be using at least 8" diameter fenders IMHO, even with a fender board. If those nice little 6" fenders fail and you end up with a big ding or scratch in your gelcoat, they're not going to look like much of a bargain, are they?

In general, going cheap on safety gear doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, you can get a bargain basement anchor with a 1/2" rode and 10' of 1/4" chain...but what does it cost you when that fails to hold??? Docklines, anchor rode, anchors, fenders, mooring bridles, etc, are all safety gear IMHO, and skimping on them just isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
Yeah, I was bit suprised too. There wasn't a lot of stuff but I found the fenders as well as a couple Attwood Tsunami T500 GPH Bilge Pump's for $19. You can't beat that price with a stick for a backup bilge pump. Not saying I would trust my boat to it but as a backup to hold you over if your primary fails...

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-11-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2010
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But that is the heart of my question, the fenders you link me to would cost $240 for 6 were the walmart fenders would cost me $66 for 6. The only difference I see it that the West Marine fenders are bigger @ 8x26. Is there really that much of a difference for $180?

I thought in your original post you were expecting to pay $40 ea for quality, appropriately sized fenders. Sorry if I misunderstood. When you hit something hard because a power boat kicks up a wake right while you are coming into a lock or slip are you really going to give a rip about $180 extra for purchasing the correct size fender?

What did Clint Eastwood say, something about feeling lucky I believe. Buy the cheap ones and spend the rest on beer

Important part is you are going somewhere on your boat, have fun!

michael
Old 03-12-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i see fenders as almost disposable. i would think for fender boards the smaller ones are fine, as you need a few per board. use the bigger ones for specific contact points
Old 03-12-2010
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I admire these fenders

Old 03-12-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
If you only need Fenders for a single passage through the canal, consider going by a tire shop and obtaining 4 or so discarded tires off of a relatively small car. They will very likely just give them to you to be rid of them. Thoroughly wrap the tires with several layers of stretch wrap and then affix them along your rails. At the end of your passage you can likely give them to someone headed in the opposit direction. There are tires at the Panama Canal that have been making round trip transits for years in this manner.

If you need/want large Fender's to keep, inflatable fenders have much to reccomend them. Again, stretch warp can be used to keep them clean and a 12v shop vac can be used to in- and deflate them. We have 4-5' long 20" diameter inflatable fenders stored in our lazerette locker that take up very little space.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-12-2010

gaha_1 is on a distinguished road
you get what you pay for.Walmat is a great place to shop.If you have to you can roll up a blanket and tie it to the side of the boat.Any thing to keep the boat off the wall.Wait a couple bays after a storm in your marina and I bet you can find at least a couple floaters.
Old 03-12-2010

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Ive had a few of these fenders, 8 x 20 something. they are what they are "cheap". I'd consider them disposable, pick up a few extras and keep them deflated in the lazerate for when one lets go. The eyes seem to be the weakest area, taking more than one turn should help spread the load ?

On the subject of fender covers , while covers range in price from about $20-30 bucks ( 8x27) you can make your own for less than $ 10 from a pair of sweets. Buying the Fruit-Of-The-Loom brand (color of choice) with the elastic on the bottom, cut to length sew in a quick hem thread some small stuff and there you have it. I generally get about two years out of a pair.
Old 03-12-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
pain...
Are those inflatable?
Paul
Old 03-12-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hello;

Well I have been planning and planning and researching and more planning for a refit and sail from Annapolis to Toronto for a few months. I have been able to dig up the answer to most of my questions but there are a few I will be posting and the first:

I didn't even think about fenders when I started to budget, I thought they would cost me about $40 a piece. Well I have started to look and I have found that they are going to cost anywhere from $65 to $100 depending on what I want...

Attwood 5x22 inch fenders for $11 a piece!?!?

Robert
You call those fenders??? I'll show you fenders!

Don't think you'll find these at Walmart or Crappy Tire!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)