SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fenders? Really? Yep I have a question about Fenders... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/62782-fenders-really-yep-i-have-question-about-fenders.html)

krozet 03-11-2010 08:59 PM

Fenders? Really? Yep I have a question about Fenders...

Hello;

Well I have been planning and planning and researching and more planning for a refit and sail from Annapolis to Toronto for a few months. I have been able to dig up the answer to most of my questions but there are a few I will be posting and the first:

I didn't even think about fenders when I started to budget, I thought they would cost me about $40 a piece. Well I have started to look and I have found that they are going to cost anywhere from $65 to $100 depending on what I want...

So after trying to sort through the many of options in the fender market I was still at a loss. The plan was to buy 6 fenders and 2 fender boards for the transit through the Erie Canal. I was starting to get comfortable with the idea of spending $480 on fenders when today I am shopping at walmart and end up in the boating section (yeah I know walmart & boating supplies is an oxymoron...) and I find

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/789...oupfenders.jpg
Attwood 5x22 inch fenders for $11 a piece!?!?

I know these are not Taylor Tuff Ends or Big B's but I can't imagine that there is anything really wrong with them either.

The use they will see short term will be locking through multiple locks on the Erie canal. There will be a pair of fender boards, each using 3 fenders. The boat is a 33 foot Contest with 13,000 lbs displacement.

Any feedback? Am I missing something?

Robert

mitiempo 03-11-2010 09:06 PM

5" x 22" might be a bit on the small side but they look fine. And you can't beat that price.

smackdaddy 03-11-2010 09:33 PM

Even if they deflate over time, think about how many you can buy at that price and still save money!

Stillraining 03-11-2010 09:52 PM

Bundle 3 together in a canvas sock if in doubt and you have tons of protection.

tomwatt 03-11-2010 10:01 PM

I've noticed WalMart does a lot of "seasonal" items at a good price... camping, boating, fishing, etc. Used to make a regular swing by there on my way out for camping trips. I'm going to have to look and see what my fender inventory looks like!

doubleeboy 03-11-2010 10:03 PM

Would these work for you? West Marine has fenders on sale almost all the time.

West Marine: Super Gardô Fender 2-Pack Product Display

I have used these fender for 13 months , added no air. Made my own fleece fender covers for them. They are nice fenders IMO.

michael

mitiempo 03-11-2010 10:13 PM

A bit more than $11 though.

krozet 03-11-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleeboy (Post 579634)
Would these work for you? West Marine has fenders on sale almost all the time.

West Marine: Super Gard™ Fender 2-Pack Product Display

I have used these fender for 13 months , added no air. Made my own fleece fender covers for them. They are nice fenders IMO.

michael

But that is the heart of my question, the fenders you link me to would cost $240 for 6 were the walmart fenders would cost me $66 for 6. The only difference I see it that the West Marine fenders are bigger @ 8x26. Is there really that much of a difference for $180?

krozet 03-11-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwatt (Post 579631)
I've noticed WalMart does a lot of "seasonal" items at a good price... camping, boating, fishing, etc. Used to make a regular swing by there on my way out for camping trips. I'm going to have to look and see what my fender inventory looks like!

Yeah, I was bit suprised too. There wasn't a lot of stuff but I found the fenders as well as a couple Attwood Tsunami T500 GPH Bilge Pump's for $19. You can't beat that price with a stick for a backup bilge pump. Not saying I would trust my boat to it but as a backup to hold you over if your primary fails...

Robert

MedSailor 03-11-2010 10:43 PM

Buy the cheap fenders. I get most of mine from the dumpster.;) Before west marine's "sale" those fenders were $75 each. CRAZY!!!

The only thing I'd check about your fenders is do they deflate. Some super cheap ones don't and that makes them harder to store when you're cruising and the ones I have seen that don't deflate die pretty quickly.

Cheap fenders are fine. Don't get ripped off just because it's "marine".

MedSailor