Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-11-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Fenders? Really? Yep I have a question about Fenders...

Hello;

Well I have been planning and planning and researching and more planning for a refit and sail from Annapolis to Toronto for a few months. I have been able to dig up the answer to most of my questions but there are a few I will be posting and the first:

I didn't even think about fenders when I started to budget, I thought they would cost me about $40 a piece. Well I have started to look and I have found that they are going to cost anywhere from $65 to $100 depending on what I want...

So after trying to sort through the many of options in the fender market I was still at a loss. The plan was to buy 6 fenders and 2 fender boards for the transit through the Erie Canal. I was starting to get comfortable with the idea of spending $480 on fenders when today I am shopping at walmart and end up in the boating section (yeah I know walmart & boating supplies is an oxymoron...) and I find

Attwood 5x22 inch fenders for $11 a piece!?!?

I know these are not Taylor Tuff Ends or Big B's but I can't imagine that there is anything really wrong with them either.

The use they will see short term will be locking through multiple locks on the Erie canal. There will be a pair of fender boards, each using 3 fenders. The boat is a 33 foot Contest with 13,000 lbs displacement.

Any feedback? Am I missing something?

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
5" x 22" might be a bit on the small side but they look fine. And you can't beat that price.
Old 03-11-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Even if they deflate over time, think about how many you can buy at that price and still save money!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-11-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Bundle 3 together in a canvas sock if in doubt and you have tons of protection.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-11-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
I've noticed WalMart does a lot of "seasonal" items at a good price... camping, boating, fishing, etc. Used to make a regular swing by there on my way out for camping trips. I'm going to have to look and see what my fender inventory looks like!
Old 03-11-2010
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Would these work for you? West Marine has fenders on sale almost all the time.

West Marine: Super Gardô Fender 2-Pack Product Display

I have used these fender for 13 months , added no air. Made my own fleece fender covers for them. They are nice fenders IMO.

michael
Old 03-11-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A bit more than $11 though.
Old 03-11-2010
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleeboy View Post
Would these work for you? West Marine has fenders on sale almost all the time.

West Marine: Super Gard™ Fender 2-Pack Product Display

I have used these fender for 13 months , added no air. Made my own fleece fender covers for them. They are nice fenders IMO.

michael
But that is the heart of my question, the fenders you link me to would cost $240 for 6 were the walmart fenders would cost me $66 for 6. The only difference I see it that the West Marine fenders are bigger @ 8x26. Is there really that much of a difference for $180?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 03-11-2010
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwatt View Post
I've noticed WalMart does a lot of "seasonal" items at a good price... camping, boating, fishing, etc. Used to make a regular swing by there on my way out for camping trips. I'm going to have to look and see what my fender inventory looks like!
Yeah, I was bit suprised too. There wasn't a lot of stuff but I found the fenders as well as a couple Attwood Tsunami T500 GPH Bilge Pump's for $19. You can't beat that price with a stick for a backup bilge pump. Not saying I would trust my boat to it but as a backup to hold you over if your primary fails...

Robert

Mark Twain
Old 03-11-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Buy the cheap fenders. I get most of mine from the dumpster. Before west marine's "sale" those fenders were $75 each. CRAZY!!!

The only thing I'd check about your fenders is do they deflate. Some super cheap ones don't and that makes them harder to store when you're cruising and the ones I have seen that don't deflate die pretty quickly.

Cheap fenders are fine. Don't get ripped off just because it's "marine".

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.