Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2010

renbluefish is on a distinguished road
Skeg mounted rudder seized

I have a 1980 Kalik 44 that i got in Oct.09. She has been sitting on the hard
for the last 15 years. Its a project of a lifetime. My question is: The skeg mounted rudder is froze or seized at the bottom bearing (there is a bearing there?) and it looks as if the rudder is pinched. Gap between top of rudder and skeg no gap at bottom. I want to remove rudder and refit. I cannot find a diagram of exploded parts to get an idea of where to start. There is a stainless elbow on the bottom of the skeg that holds the bottom of the rudder and bearing (?) thought of removing but... Would appreciate any information have been all over the web but no hits.
Thanks all for everything i have learned reading this forum.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Try this question in the Gear and Maintenance section. Good luck
Old 03-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by renbluefish View Post
I have a 1980 Kalik 44 that i got in Oct.09. She has been sitting on the hard
for the last 15 years. Its a project of a lifetime. My question is: The skeg mounted rudder is froze or seized at the bottom bearing (there is a bearing there?) and it looks as if the rudder is pinched. Gap between top of rudder and skeg no gap at bottom. I want to remove rudder and refit. I cannot find a diagram of exploded parts to get an idea of where to start. There is a stainless elbow on the bottom of the skeg that holds the bottom of the rudder and bearing (?) thought of removing but... Would appreciate any information have been all over the web but no hits.
Thanks all for everything i have learned reading this forum.
Hi, Welcome to Sailnet!

I'm not familiar with your boat, so it's a bit hard to offer meaningful advice based solely on your description. When you reach 10 posts, you will be able to post-up photos, which would help us all to visualize the problem better.

But based on your description, it sounds like your boat may have a had a hard grounding at one point that bent the rudder stock. Possibly while going astern.

You may need to remove the gudgeon (what you call the "stainless elbow") at the base of the skeg and drop the rudder for inspection. (Incidentally, that gudgeon is more than likely made of bronze --- it would be unusual in my experience to see one made from stainless.) By doing this, you will also find whether there is a bearing there (or not) and what condition it is in.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in with their opinions. You may also want to hire a professional to inspect the rudder and give you a plan of corrective action, if you don't want them to repair it for you.

P.S. I'm moving this thread to Gear & Maintenance for better visibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRD—

I'd think that if the rudder is skeg hung, that the bottom piece would be a rudder shoe, not a gudgeon, since this rudder is likely not pintle hung.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
JRD—

I'd think that if the rudder is skeg hung, that the bottom piece would be a rudder shoe, not a gudgeon, since this rudder is likely not pintle hung.
SD,

I've seen the term "rudder gudgeon" used in different contexts, sometimes interchangeably with "rudder shoe".

At any rate, "rudder gudgeon" is the term which the designer and builder of our boat give to that piece of hardware. You can see it described in the drawing of the skeg/rudder arrangement on the 5th or 6th page of this brochure:

http://www.cruisingyachtsinc.com/31lr.pdf

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-06-2010

docket is on a distinguished road
Skeg Plate

Six bolts on the bottom and it comes off in your hand. I had to remove it on mine.