SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

freshwater tank leaking under v berth

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
The boat is an islander 30 with a 25 gallon glassed in fresh water tank under the v berth. If the tank is full or we are heeled over the water leaks from the 6 " inspection port on top of the tank. The inspection port is a regular deck plate type with a flange, screwed to the top and bedded with marine sealant. Is there a better way to seal the opening in the top of this tank than a deck plate ? What kind of sealant would be better than regular silicone ? Should I use 3m 4500 ? Since I sleep in the V berth it is awful to get into bed and find the cushions soaked from below. And no I do not have bladder trouble.

Thanks,

#3 ·
If its the screw in type deck plate clean the treads and apply plumbers putty. If not there reasonably inexpensive to replace.

#4 ·
I would NOT use 5200 as you would never be able to remove it. Plumbers putty is a good choice or if you need to remove the housing, rebed with silicone, particularly if it is a poly tank as silicone is a good choice for those tanks and is flexible to handle expansion and contraction.

Tod

#5 ·
5200 also cures using an isocyanate compound and isn't approved for use on POTABLE water tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.