Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2010

tip is on a distinguished road
Bottom strip/paint questions

So I'm doing some preliminary research on doing my bottom work - hopefully I can get it done in June. I am planning on selling her at the end of summer, but I want to do the job right. I have no problem spending money on new tools, equipment, or quality materials.

I plan on doing a full strip, epoxy blisters, do a full Interprotect barrier coat, and then bottom paint.

- can anyone recommend a chemical stripper to aid in old paint removal?

- what about a tool for stripping off paint?

- should I invest in a vacuum sander set-up?

- any other tools to make my job easier? (I'm pretty much doing it by myself)

- what bottom paint should I go with for the PNW, for year round mooring?

- am I missing anything?

Bellingham, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
tip -
Due to the EPA, the boatyard you haul at may have it's own ideas about what methods you use. Check with them before spending any money on supplies/equipment.
Old 03-12-2010

Yeah, there's only one yard in town that will let me DIY.

Here's their rules:

Quote:
#It is the owner’s and/or his/her representative’s responsibility to inform boatyard personnel of the location to place lifting straps. The Landings at Colony Wharf is not responsible for damage due to strap placement.
# Pressure washing will be done in designated areas and by Boatyard personnel only.
# All sandblasting and heavy grinding must be done inside a building.
# A vacuum sander MUST be used at ALL TIMES of sanding in the boatyard. Non-compliance of this rule WILL result in a $250.00 minimum fine.
# You must control the dust from your work and the areas around the boat must be cleaned up each day.
# Bottom painting must be performed in a manner so that all drips and spills are cleaned up. Tarping underneath the boat is required. You are responsible for any overspray and/or splattered paint found on other boats, vehicles, personal property or the ground.
# No wet sanding
# No spray painting outside
# It is the boat owner’s responsibility to see that the area around the boat is kept clean. The area is to be cleaned up when the boat leaves and all waste materials hauled away.

No wet sanding???

Bellingham, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2010

BONESDILLIGAF is on a distinguished road
no wet sanding is kinda odd to me.
it is certainly a way to keep down dust, and if you are tarped under the boat it should not be an issue.
i wet sanded between all the coats when I painted the bottom of my boat. I used interlux brand paint, mostly because I found a marine supply that was going out of business and I was able to get the paint for 75% off.
of course that meant that my color choice was reduced to teal green or teal green, but whatever, its bottom paint after all.

i decided not to use a chemical agent when I stripped down the boat, mostly because I was able to do the whole project in a friends barn (my boat is only 21'). The only advice I can give you is to follow the instructions on any brand paint you use, and wait extra time between coats if you can. The better you prep the boat, the better the outcome of the paint. And don't worry, it will take two to three times longer to do than you anticipate.

And as for the sander... Unless you are planning to use it for alot of projects, check with a local tool rental place. You should be able to rent one for the weekend for a much better price than buying one. And you will get a professional grad sander this way. Sanding the boat is the least time consuming, considering the major sanding that is. Most of the time will be taken up by prepping the boat for sanding, and applying the coats of paint. The sanding between coats should be done manually, and not by machine, for it is only a scuff sanding to allow for better adhesion of the additional coats.

hope that helps.

~BONES~

self taught, looking to learn more
Old 03-12-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
If you are going to sell, why go through all this....as a buyer, I would be leary of what has been done...or covered up and why...

Enjoy the boat, adjust your price so a buyer can see what is there...

Else keep ALL the paperwork, receipts and such, as the next owner will surely want to know what was used, how it was applied, etc.

Best of luck,
Old 03-12-2010

I thought about this too. I will be documenting the whole thing, and keeping all receipts.

I just thought it would be easier to sell with everything done

Bellingham, WA

Old 03-12-2010

BONESDILLIGAF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tip View Post
I thought about this too. I will be documenting the whole thing, and keeping all receipts.

I just thought it would be easier to sell with everything done
I agree, sometimes it is better not to do the work if you are going to sell.
usually your best bet is to consult some of the people there at the marina. Not just the workers, but other owners as well. Check out some comparable boats for sale, and do a cost analysis. If you are not going to recoup your costs plus, it may be better to sell as is. If it was me, I would get an estimate to have the boat done professionally, and use that as a control number. You may be pleasantly surprised that you can sell it as is, for very close to what you will get if it is done. And remember if you wind up doing a poor job, it can effect the price negatively.

I only did my paint, because I bought a boat that was poorly painted by the previous owner. I was able to steal my boat because of the terrible job the guy did. Hell he even PAINTED THE BRIGHTWORK!
granted, my boat looks a lot better, and I have had offers that are over twice what I paid for it, but I have seen others going for about the same prices that i was offered that need paint.

if your selling, just let the buyers know that the boat is due for a new bottom coat, and make sure the inside and equipment is up to snuff. At the end of the day, soundness of sails and equipment is much more important than a bottom coat of paint to a prospective buyer.

imo

~BONES~

self taught, looking to learn more
Old 03-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt you'll be able to get back what you'll be putting into the boat. No one ever does.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2010

I know I won't get all back what I put into the boat, I just figured it would sell faster.

I should mention that I bought the boat in September, and I got a good deal, mostly because it needed bottom paint and he thought it had blisters.

So what if I sell it to someone, and they end up needing more than just bottom paint? Like blister repairs, etc?

This is probably a $3500 boat if the bottom was perfect.

Bellingham, WA

Old 04-19-2010

gallilaw is on a distinguished road
Sander and Polisher - one tool for both?

I have a 23-year-old 27.5 foot sailboat and don't plan on getting anything bigger. I have read some reviews of random orbital sanders, and other reviews of polishers (buffers), but I can't help asking:

Can anyone recommend one tool of reasonably good quality that could perform well as both an orbital sander and a polisher? I know that such a tool might not equal the performance of the best single-purpose sander or single-purpose buffer, but there might be a tool out there that will perform well enough in each category for the limited number of hours I will be using it each year.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.