SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   boom vang set up (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/62807-boom-vang-set-up.html)

QuickMick 03-12-2010 01:11 PM

boom vang set up

the P.O with the BO rigged the boom vang to the little step protruding from the companion way slats. I couldnt imagine it being in a more inconvienient place, especially as it allow water to collect in the created channel.

I am thinking about moving it toward the bow and mounting it atop the main cabin. has anyone done this/have any pointers? should i be concerned about moving the pulleys as well to keep the same distance from said cockamamie set up?

thanks
Quinn

sailingdog 03-12-2010 01:51 PM

Without photos, it is hard to say...but the cabin top sounds like a much better location. The boom vang should ideally go back to the mast base or very close to that point in order to function properly.

sailingfool 03-12-2010 04:09 PM

Ditto whaty SD said. The vang MUST terminate at the base of the mast, or whenver you trim th emainshet you;ll need to also adjust the vang. Seems lijke that would be a pain.

I'd bet there's been some confusions omewhere along the line, and if you look around th emast collar, you;ll see a spot for connecting the vang

mitiempo 03-13-2010 12:08 AM

I think he might be talking about his mainsheet.

sailingdog 03-13-2010 12:14 AM

If he doesn't know the difference between a mainsheet and a boom vang, the OP has some other, far more serious issues to deal with....:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 580095)
I think he might be talking about his mainsheet.

mitiempo 03-13-2010 12:19 AM

So does someone with their vang attached to the little step protruding from the companionway slats. I think he means the bridge deck. Quinn, posting pics really helps with this kind of question.

sailingdog 03-13-2010 07:41 AM

I can't see anyone ever installing a boomvang to the bridgedeck. That pretty much destroys the full utility of the boom vang.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 580101)
So does someone with their vang attached to the little step protruding from the companionway slats. I think he means the bridge deck. Quinn, posting pics really helps with this kind of question.

QuickMick 03-13-2010 09:32 AM

I'll take pics today and post 'em monday. While the inmates may be running the asylum, you guys are a plethora of knowledge. thanks much

QuickMick 03-13-2010 09:39 AM

btw dog

it's one thing to bust a guys chops who thinks he knows everything, its another thing entirely to bust a guys chops who is big enough to be small enough to admit what he doesn't know and try to learn.

regards
Q

sailingdog 03-13-2010 11:11 AM

Mick—

Wasn't busting your chops... I was making a very serious point—if you don't know the difference between a boom vang and a mainsheet—you're really going to have a steep learning curve.

Besides, I wasn't the one questioning you... Mitiemp was.

BTW, his questioning is valid, as it makes no sense to mount a boomvang to the companionway, as that effectively kills its utility. However, it is fairly common for mid-boom mainsheet setups to be terminated near there.

Without photos, can't really know what is really going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 580179)
it's one thing to bust a guys chops who thinks he knows everything, its another thing entirely to bust a guys chops who is big enough to be small enough to admit what he doesn't know and try to learn.

regards
Q