Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2010

StephenBrooks is on a distinguished road
Shore Power for Liveaboard Albin Vega 27

Insulating project begins on my Vega 27 Monday. After some researching I've decided on 3/4 inch Armaflex insulation glued to the hull down to the bildge for added value with 3m 90 plywood battens or stringers attached to hull with PL Premium adhesive. 1/4 inch gap for air circulation then plywood and white arborite. Seams will be covered by building a shelf on both port and starboard sides.

If anybody has better idea or concern about this method...please holler!

Question on shore power???

I've had an estimate of 2 weeks to wire boat for shore power. Probably translates into more than $5,000. is this reasonable? I plan to liveaboard here on the Fraser River at the marina for the next 8 years...all being well before setting sail for more distant and warmer lands. I want some comforts, especially AC unit for the companion way in the summer.

Thanks!!

Stephen
Albin Vega 27
Shelter island Marina
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Depends on how you plan to heat. If you're thinking electric heat, you'll need at least one 30A line pretty much dedicated to heating. Reverse-cycle A/Cs draw a little less when heating, but are only efficient down to about 36-38F water temp. Some A/Cs, like the Flagship series, have an optional big electric coil for heating. Draws about 18A and works like a charm...I have two on my 42' sloop. Just one of them keeps the boat reasonably warm all winter, except for the really cold nights (under 20F and blowing) when I add a diesel-air heater (Espar).

If your electricity isn't completely reliable, you'll need another, or secondary, means of heating: stove, diesel-air, etc.

For your creature comforts....lighting, frig, batt. charger, TV, stereo, microwave, etc., one 30A circuit should be enough.

Assume you'll be cooking with propane. An electric stove would complicate things somewhat.

Two weeks and $5,000 labor sounds like it's in the ballpark. Be sure to do it right, with a licensed/certified marine electrician and top quality materials. This isn't something to cut corners on, IMHO.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 03-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Make sure you get testimonials from the electrician's previous customers. Just because they are licensed and certified, doesn't necessarily mean they're competent or conscientious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You're in B.C., not Florida. The water is always cool and there is usually a breeze. If not a fan or 2 work well. Air conditioning is not necessary and is rarely seen around here. I have lived aboard for 14 of the last 20 years in B.C. and the bigger issue is keeping warm in the winter. What you will probably get from most marinas is a single 30 amp shorepower connection. You need a good AC panel, ideally a galvanic isolator, and some outlets. Electric heat can either be built in or portable but make sure you get one with variable heat output because if it is always at full power when on there will be times when the circuit can't handle full output. Either when you want to use a kettle or toaster or when everybody is dragging things down with their own heater.
2 weeks is an awfully long time to wire a 27' sailboat for shorepower in my opinion. As is $5000. No matter what you are likely to install on a 27' Vega it won't be that complicated.
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm a bit curious as to why you're having an electrician wire the boat for shorepower. Doing this isn't exactly rocket science. Doing it yourself would allow you to trouble shoot the setup far more easily.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-13-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i agree this could be a DIY project, and it could be done in a long weekend. 5k seems high unless its got a lot of union breaks
Old 03-13-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Problem is, we don't know what "it" is.

Depending on what's wanted/needed, "it" could be a long weekend job, or "it" could indeed be a 2-week job.

The size of the vessel is only one consideration. Cost and time are much more closely tied to defining "it".

Perhaps the OP could enlighten us as to exactly what he wants/needs/expects.

Also, is there existing wiring and/or electrical fittings to be pulled/tested/used? Do you really want A/C? What kind? How do you plan to heat in winter? What about a battery charger? Inverter? Hot water heater? What kind of loads do you expect to put on the AC system?

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 03-13-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
****, for $4000 I will come wire your boat on my spring break!

It's not super complicated. You need to buy a shore power cord, (Probably 30A) and all the necessary converters if you plan to cruise to strange harbors.

A shore power receptacle.
A galvanic isolator (if you feel it is needed.)
A whole lot of duplex marine grade AC wire.
Some outlets.
A breaker.
One or two GFCI outlets.
Maybe even an electric heater

Some time.

Don't use acorn nuts and solid wire. That is all I ask.
I can't see materials for this job being over $2000 even if you buy the best.
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

Actually, what you need for this project is:

A shore power cord—30 Amp
A shore power inlet—30 Amp
A shorepower panel with doubled breakers for the main line coming in
A lot of TRIPLEX marine grade wire—duplex only has TWO conductors, AC requires THREE.
A GFCI outlet for each circuit

Optionally, you might want a galvanic isolater

If you let tager wire your boat, you'll be out a lot of money and have a boat that is likely to catch fire from the ignorance of the installer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
****, for $4000 I will come wire your boat on my spring break!

It's not super complicated. You need to buy a shore power cord, (Probably 30A) and all the necessary converters if you plan to cruise to strange harbors.

A shore power receptacle.
A galvanic isolator (if you feel it is needed.)
A whole lot of duplex marine grade AC wire.
Some outlets.
A breaker.
One or two GFCI outlets.
Maybe even an electric heater

Some time.

Don't use acorn nuts and solid wire. That is all I ask.
I can't see materials for this job being over $2000 even if you buy the best.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-13-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
What sailingdog said.
He beat me to it. But an AC panel with a breaker for each outlet, charger, heater if permanently installed, and equipped for multi source if invertor is to be hard wired.
Something like the first if there is no invertor, the second if there is.
Attached Thumbnails
Shore Power for Liveaboard Albin Vega 27-2.jpg   Shore Power for Liveaboard Albin Vega 27-1.jpg