Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2010
Catalina 25

jjrunning is on a distinguished road
Inclined Bulkhead Compass

I just so happen to have a very nice 5 inch diameter hole in my cockpit right now that used to hold my compass. The problem is that the compass was shot and I need to find a new one but am having trouble finding one that will fit into the 5 inch hole. Most are too small.

Does anyone know of a bulkhead compass that will be mountable in a 5 inch diameter hole?
Old 03-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This one will probably fit in a 5" hole, since the compass dial is 4.5"...

BTW, found this with a google search for bulkhead compass, it was like the fourth hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010
Catalina 25

Thanks sd, I looked at that one for quite a while but it looked to me like it wouldn't go in the circle cutout because of the way that the face plate is oriented with the compass body at an angle... not perpendicular. I saw it in the defender catalog and that says the mounting hole needs to be 5.75 inches...

I can always make the hole a little bigger if I need to but just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of one that was the right size so I didn't have to.
Old 03-13-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
One of the boats in our club has a teak adapter mounting ring between the compass and bulkhead. It is nicely done, Starboard would be another option if you do not want to change the existing hole in the bulkhead. The Plastimo contest 100 requires a 5 1/4" dia mounting hole.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, what make/model was the original compass. If the manufacturer is still in business, they might still make a model that would be a drop-in replacement for it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2010
Catalina 25

It was an old Suunto. I couldn't find a model number on it though. I have been through Suunto's website and haven't been able to come across any product dimensions. I might just go with a smaller one and make up a mounting ring like you said roline.