Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2010

svkarendipity is on a distinguished road
Rigging Woes

Hi. I've been in the process of Spring recommissioning a 1980 S2 9.2C and have encountered a problem with the rigging. As a part of the winter layup, I removed and had the machinist clean and true the turnbuckles and toggle threads. Two turnbuckles are unservicable due to sever galling and need to be replaced. Wire rigging stayed on the mast. The swaged wire studs are galled, but appear servicable. Rig is 1/4" wire w/ 1/2"x24 swaged studs. All hardware is original fitted by S2 and from CS Johnson. Problem 1 is that it appears from From their website, it appears CS Johnson only manufactures this particular turnbuckle in a 1/2"x20 configuration-no help. Haven't serviced the studs on the rigging yet, but suspect I may encounter difficulties with running a die to true the threads due to the severe galling. Wire is as good as new. Toggles down low are ok, serviced turnbuckles turn like butter, and the eyes up high appear fantastic. What to do?
1. Where can I purchase the appropriate 1/2x24 threaded turnbuckle (if such an animal exists)?
2. In the event any of the rigging studs are unservicable, what then? The wire is in perfect shape. Can I safely swage on a longer stud and not change the wire out? Haven't gotten a hold of anybody in the tech department of CS Johnson to see about a couple of custom turned turnbuckles that will fit. I have't come across this 1/2 x24 thread pattern on rigging anywhere.
I don't want to Rube Goldberg the rigging, but she's an old boat. Any ideas short of replacing the standing rigging would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
In reality, the rigging is probably as old as the boat, and so even though the wire looks "as good as new", it may be due for replacement. Given the issues with your turnbuckles I'd say it's time to redo the lot.

Trying to retrofit older turnbuckle sizes/styles is pretty difficult to do unless you can nail down the same supplier - not always possible 30 years on.

Unless you have info that states the rigging's been recently replaced (or replaced at some point) it may well be original, esp since you seem to be dealing with factory hardware.

EDIT: Oops.. sorry - just reread your post and saw that you didn't want to hear this... please disregard!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-12-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree - it is probably time for replacement of all the rigging anyway. I wonder if a respected rigger would swage new ends on old rigging wire? Turnbuckles should be bronze with stainless swaged rigging ends so galling is not an issue.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-12-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Even with stainless steel turnbuckles, galling is easily prevented by using a little grease on the threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2010

Rigging is CS Johnson. I'll try to get a hold of them when they're open and see if they can accommodate my needs of 1/2x24 threads for the turnbuckles. If they can't, then I'll see if unmachined turnbuckle bodies are available and turn them myself. I'm hoping they should be able to turn one for me. If studs need replacing, then I'll replace any associated wire rigging as well. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-13-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
If you plan to go anywhere with this boat...other than weekending and round-the-buoys type sailing, you really need to (what you don't want to hear).

Bill
Old 03-13-2010

I'll probably replace anything that isn't servicable. The wire is inexpensive relative to the other rigging parts, so at worse, I'll probably be in for a shroud and/or stay with associated hardware. Not the time to replace the entire rig. Love the boat, I but I don't intend on sailing off into the sunset with her. Hence the need to keep her safe and keep her cheap now. She doesn't see extreme wind conditions while sailing and the biggest sea state she sees is an occasional river barge wake roller.
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that if some of the rigging is suspect, then all of the rigging is likely equally suspect... and it should all be replaced at the same time.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.