Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-14-2010

islands50 is on a distinguished road
New mainsail

I could use some advice on buying a new mainsail for my 30 foot sloop. I do coastal cruising. Looking for a heavier cruising sail rather than racing. What do you know about these sailmakers I am looking at. North sails $1400 for a 7 oz. $1700 for nsp premium dacron. Bacon sails $1600. FX sails 7.3 oz. $1500. Scott 6.5 oz. National sail supply 6.5 oz. $1200.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2010
Emerging Sailor

erikdj is on a distinguished road
Hi islands,

About two years ago I was faced with a similar decision on my 28 foot. I decided to go with a smaller local sail shop. Their prices were about middle of the road between North (most expensive) and Doyle (least expensive). I did a lot of checking into the shop I went with.. reputation.. references.. satisfaction.. service, etc. Two years later I can't tell you how unbelievably happy I am that I went with a local shop. Here's why: customer service.

I subsequently bought a new head sail and had my three other headsails adapted for my new roller furler. He's also built a new sail cover for my main sail. Any time I have a question or need a small change, I have someone to turn to that I can get to quickly. I decided to try my hand at racing, so I took my main sail back to have my numbers put on. He did it for free. I had a small problem with my new headsail that was a manufacturing problem so I took it back.. Fixed it for free plus fixed a small tear I had put in the luff rope which was completely my fault.. Changed to a loose footed main sail.. he did that for free.. wanted a bigger outhaul slide for the boom--free.

The sails are, of course, of the highest quality and are wearing fine (which is obviously the #1 benefit). Any time I need a sail tune up, have a question or need something done, I can call _the guy_ who made my sail. Plus I'm supporting my local economy! :-)

It was actually the North salesman that kind of convinced me. I felt like I was buying a car from a car salesman when I talked to him. It was almost like "What can I do to get you into this sail today." Plus the sails are generally made over seas. What a drag if you get your sail back and there's a fitting problem or stitching problem or other change.. Can't talk to the person who built it. Plus the sails are a little more "cookie cutter".. Steve designed my sail, the shape, size, everything to the way I wanted it.

Good luck.

Erik
Old 03-14-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
I would second the local sailmakers, some are much better than the big boys.

But I found them to be so far out of my price range that I just gave up on the idea of getting a new sail. Then I got a quote from Hong Kong sails. More work, more risk, but lower shipping costs (yep) and it was less than 1/2 of the average quote (those that bothered), almost 1/3 of a sailmaker I would have preferred to use.

So I would say use a local sailmaker, they'll have better service, better advice (you have to know what you want if you order over the net) and having that relationship can more than cover the extra costs...if they fit in your budget.
Old 03-14-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
National Sail- top quality materials, excellent workmanship, great advice and support, very reasonable price. I bought two RF headsails and wouldn't hesitate to order a main or any other sail from them. This is for offshore cruising sails, racing might be a different situation.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-14-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Buy local, skip FX.
Old 03-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One fellow sailor ordered sails from FX sails in DECEMBER, and still has not received them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-14-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Islands50

Which Coast?
Old 03-14-2010
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
I have used Atlantic Sail Traders in Sarasota, found them to be very good.
I live in Canada but travel to Sarasota once or twice a year so I have stopped in and talked to them, very helpful with reasonable prices.
Old 03-14-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
National Sail

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruce85 View Post
I have used Atlantic Sail Traders in Sarasota, found them to be very good..
I have one of their sails, well made, very nice sail, the best on our boat actually. Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P