Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-14-2010
Aura Columbia 30

Boondoggle30 is on a distinguished road
What wood

I have never done wood work on a boat. I am starting with one easy project followed by a second slightly more involved one. Depending on how these go I need to tackle a third. Ultimatley my question is what wood to use for each?

Project #1:
easy one - I want to afix a wood mounting plate on the stern rail that I can then screw my BBQ mount to it. Without getting into the why, I need a wooden surface on the rail to tie into. I have a similar vertical wood surface mounted on the stern rail for the dingy motor. What wood do you recommend?
Project #2: after some professional deck surgery I have to replace some shelving in the main salon that is rotted. This is more cosmetic I realize and I would like to be able to afford teak but... I don't even think the original wood was even teak? I will need to match the stain colour as well. I realize the existing wood type would be perfect but I don't know what was used.

Project #3: combo of the first two jobs. This one has the need to survive elements AND look good. I need to replace the wood that houses the instruments in the cockpit. The piece (I broke while winterizing) is attached to the wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said, would love to use teak but that is neither economical or accessible for me. I have experience and tools for wood working... Just not on a boat.

Al
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
I have used Ipe “epay” for a few projects. I had scraps from a decking job. The stuff is hard as a rock so buy extra bits. Lots of info on line. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 03-14-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ipe, or Ironwood is amazingly hard and durable stuff. It is usually used for exterior decking for houses as it, like teak, stands up well to the elements. Ipe also looks a bit like teak. As Dan suggests, because of its hardness you will need extra blades and bits when working with it.
Another good choice would be Mahogany.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I second mahogany- it is easy to work with, finishes nicely, and is relatively durable. if you want to make it damn near bulletproof, coat it with a coat or two of epoxy prior to finishing with paint or varnish.
Old 03-14-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Your interior wood is most likely teak. When I was building interiors for Columbia we used teak faced plywood and solid teak only. That was for the B.C. built Columbias, though it was 40 years ago.
Old 03-14-2010
Aura Columbia 30

Brian,
That would make sense - the teak/plywood combo. My marine wood knowledge is zero and I was not aware that teak skinned plywood was out there. When I removed the piece that boxed out the port deck scupper I saw plywood. I suspect that materal will not be easy to find at my local lumber yard!! The pieces I will be replacIng will be the same make up.
I'm liking mahogony gor the exterior work. By the way, nice work, I love our Columbia.
Old 03-14-2010

I don't think I had anything to do with yours. The Columbia 26 and 34 were built under license by Cooper in N. Vancouver and I worked for a company that was contracted to do the woodwork. 95% of the wood we used was teak or teak faced ply and the other 5% was for other customers - not boats.
Old 03-14-2010
Aura Columbia 30

Where does one "normally" purchase these types of exotic woods? I assume Lowes and Home Depot will be a little short on them...
Old 03-14-2010

I'm not sure where you are located but one example is Exotic Woods in Burlington Ontario. Most large areas have hardwood suppliers.
Old 03-14-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
boony, are you sailing out of the east end of lake ontario or the west? If you're in the west, stop into a Turkstra Lumber yard. They stock mahogany in a variety of thicknesses and board widths. I bought some reaaly nice 1x4" for a davit project I am working on, for $1.27/ft.