Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-14-2010

eolon is on a distinguished road
Toilet Humor

Well, actually, it's not that funny. My Spring project is to remove my old ceramic unit and holding tank and macerator and leaks and smells and replace it with a Thetford 465.

The 465 MSD is the marine version, evidently they don't have an Army version, HAHAHA! (promised toilet humor). The MSD bolts to the deck, which is good. The thing is, I want to be able to take the tank and empty into the toilet at the marina, instead of pumping it out. It appears that the model 465 lets you do that, but not the 465 MSD, which does not include the pour spout; BUT the model 456, which has a pour spout, doesn't bolt to the deck.

Anyone have any experience with these models? How can I bolt it down, but still have it be removable, and having the pour spout?

Thanks, and

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Is the pour spout integrated into the tank or a piece you can add on? If the latter, ask the manufacturer to send you one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-14-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
"bolted to the deck" ???

Mine is below.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-14-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: cor
Old 03-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
He must like fresh air and not need the privacy of head down below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
"bolte to the deck" ???

Mine is below.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-14-2010

Yes, I suppose I could adapt the MSD with a pour spout, but I wonder why they don't offer it (at least as an option) in the first place.

I guess I could get the 465 non-marine version and just nail it to the hull

Best Regards,

e

Old 03-14-2010

It's below...

but I COULD just duct-tape a toilet seat to the stern rail - It would be cheaper.

Best Regards,

e

Old 03-14-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
I thought they all had the spout, I'd email the company to be sure it is a problem. They are easy to secure by using angled flat bar to hold the bottom in place and a strap across the top for when not in use. Even if bolted I would have a strap across the top to hold it in place. They are not meant to be on their side or upside down for long.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 03-29-2010

redline is on a distinguished road
Just ran across this thread doing some of my own research. I do know that in some jurisdictions (e.g. Lake Champlain), any Marine Sanitation Device which is fixed to the boat, can *only* be pumped out to shoreside facilities. "Porta-potti" type removeable units and/or tanks are not permitted. The reason is simple, albeit disgusting - some folks would merely dump them overboard to avoid paying for a pump-out.
Apparently it's legal to pee overboard, or to pee in a buck and dump that over, but if the "bucket" is bolted down, then suddently it is a MSD and must be fitted for through-deck discharge only.

I can live with the rules (even if my record was paying what amounted to $17/gal - and we thought gas we expensive), but somehow it seems unfair that some states charge tax on those mandatory pump-outs.

Norman
Old 03-29-2010
Telstar 28

Actually, peeing in a bucket and dumping it overboard is illegal, because a bucket is considered a marine sanitation device if it is used to hold human waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Just ran across this thread doing some of my own research. I do know that in some jurisdictions (e.g. Lake Champlain), any Marine Sanitation Device which is fixed to the boat, can *only* be pumped out to shoreside facilities. "Porta-potti" type removeable units and/or tanks are not permitted. The reason is simple, albeit disgusting - some folks would merely dump them overboard to avoid paying for a pump-out.
Apparently it's legal to pee overboard, or to pee in a buck and dump that over, but if the "bucket" is bolted down, then suddently it is a MSD and must be fitted for through-deck discharge only.

I can live with the rules (even if my record was paying what amounted to $17/gal - and we thought gas we expensive), but somehow it seems unfair that some states charge tax on those mandatory pump-outs.

Norman

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-29-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolon View Post
but I COULD just duct-tape a toilet seat to the stern rail.
Just make sure you only use it while the diver is below servicing your bottom