Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I absolutely recommend using a solvent wash prior to sanding. If you don't remove the waxes, oils, etc., sanding will spread them around and it can cause problems with the paint. Without access to an auto paint shop I'm not sure what to recommend you use, maybe someone else can recommend a common product that will do the same as the Interlux solvent, or Final Wash that I have used. I would think after de-waxing the hull a sanding would be in order but I wouldn't try to take all the "pimples" out, just rough up the surface and then use a high fill type of epoxy primer (or whatever is recommended for your top coat). Keep sanding the primer coats until the surface is smooth. If you want it like glass then you can use a long board after spraying the primer with a rattle can of contrasting color to find the high and low spots. It's a lot of time and work, good luck on the project.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010

superiorvoyager is on a distinguished road
Well I talked to the guys at Interlux and they of course recommend 202 solvent wash but say you can use acetone or denatured alcohol as well. The difference will be that the 202 evaporates slower so you can wet it down and wipe it off easier. With Acetone or Alcohol you need to be wiping it off almost as quickly as you apply it. Asked him about spraying or roll and tipping it and he said either works well. As I said I have a friend who can spray it for me (and yes he has all the equipment as he does it for a living) or I can roll and tip it myself.
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with the 202 solvent wash. Use lots of clean rags, so that you don't accidentally re-deposit the wax/grease/oils on the surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.