Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-15-2010

superiorvoyager is on a distinguished road
Preping topside for painting

With unseasonably warm weather I have started preping the topsides of my hull for eventual painting wih Perfection. I've used stripper to take the bootstripe off (still needs to be sanded) but am wondering about recomendations for cleaning the gelcoat. There is so much damage to the gel coat (see other threads) that the whole thing needs to be sanded but I unerstand I need to clean first, the repair the gouges, then sand and hen do a final filling of smaller defects I may have missed, For the innitial cleaning I have read some recomendations to use Boat Soap then stain remover, others say to use interlux 202 solvent wash while others have sugested to just use denatured alcohol. What are the pros and cons of each way and what woul you recommend?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
There are products at most auto body supply stores for cleaning off any wax or silicon prior to painting to avoid fish eyes. I would highly recommend one of these products prior to any sanding or fairing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, a quick and dirty check to see if the hull is clean enough is to spray it with water... if the water beads...you got wax, oil or silicone on the hull still. If it sheets and wets thoroughly...it's clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Be real casreful about sanding, most any grit under 400 or so will show under a good paint. Better to just sand the repairs...see what Interlux recommends for preparation.
Old 03-15-2010

Unfortunately prety much the entire hull needs sanding as it is covered with little pimples. There was another thread where I talked abou that. If I don't sand out the blemishes in the Gel Coat it will look terrible. The question here is about how to clean the surface before sanding. There are no Marine Suppliers around or Auto Body shops so whatever I use has to be available at Canadian Tire or home depot or I have to order it in. One website says to use boat soap followed by stain remover, another says to just use interlux 202 solvent while another says you can just use denatured alcohol. With the interlux 202 solvent I don't know what it is so maybe it is a regular type of solvent under their name. I'd rather use something available locally to save on shipping but if there is a brand name product that I have to order in I will.
Old 03-15-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I dont thibk you need to clean the surface before sanding, the sanding will remove anything on the surface, and then some more...
Old 03-15-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
you might want to try a good scrub with something like simple green and a scotch brite pad. once dry wipe it down with what ever thinner that interlux recommends, then sand.

the simple green should remove any wax and oil, and the scotch brite pad will help knock down any small imperfections and help break loose the waxes
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, cleaning the surface before sanding is usually recommended. Sanding can embed oils and waxes into the surface and make it really hard to get a clean surface for painting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I dont thibk you need to clean the surface before sanding, the sanding will remove anything on the surface, and then some more...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
If you go to the intelux sight they have a PRO manual

http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/hotlin...ion_manual.pdf

I have seen people use and not use primer IMHP you need there primer

IF you roll and tip you have to sand between coats or the paint will FISH-EYE becasue it drys with such a smooth finish

If you spray and dont do the second coat within the window you have to sand or it will FISH-EYE

The sanding window is very temperature dependent and i have had to wait 36 hours at 60 F before it was hard enough to sand

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-16-2010

That pro Manual is great and talks about spraying. I Had originally planned on having a friend who is a professional painter spray the boat for me but through the threads here I was under the impression that Perfection had to be rolled. I will call Interlux and talk to them about my questions as well.