Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2010
SoME Sailor

rjg23 is on a distinguished road
Specific Block Information

Looking for someone to i.d. this unique type of block along with a manufacturer/distributor.

I've looked through Schaefer's, Defender's, and Garhauer's websites for these to no avail.

Thanks

"If you are lucky to live by the sea, you are lucky enough"

Last edited by Faster; 03-16-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Looks like a schaefer cheek block, but the base is what makes it unique. Pretty crappy lead either way, gotta be a better way.
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I agree with ZZ...pretty sure it's a Schaefer block. The lead to the winch sucks though. While the stainless steel rub strake is a nice way to deal with it...moving the block so that the line leads fair would make far more sense iMHO. Your sheets will last longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2010
SoME Sailor

rjg23 is on a distinguished road
It's not my boat. I have a similar boat and it doesn't appear that the builder had genoa's in mind when laying the track for the sheets. This owner has a second set of tracks aft of the original track which takes it right up against what appears to be a fairly significant coaming. Seems difficult, given the space, to get the lead correct.

Any suggestions on getting a fairer lead to the winch, including the hardware to do it would also be appreciated. Presently I have snatch blocks attached to the toe rail for the sheets which then run directly to the winch, still without the fair lead. The boat is a Paceship PY-26.

"If you are lucky to live by the sea, you are lucky enough"

Last edited by Faster; 03-16-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I'd consider raising and angling the winch itself with a pad. Otherwise you need to make the turning block higher, which would create a lot of leverage in its mount.Winch manufacturer's recommend a lead angle of about 8% below 90%, determine the size of the pad size and angle to get the right lead. I've seen solid teak used for pads.

If you lead your sheets to the toe rail, you'll lose a mess of pointing degrees, set the turning block up correctly, then use it with all size jibs, in concert with inboard track.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
You could try a spring loaded stand up block mounted a little further aft on the weather deck. You may have to glass in a pedestal base for it however. Messing with re-angle-ing the winch itself could turn into a nightmare. Have you experienced over-rides with the current setup? If not, and you can stand the extra chaffe and friction of the rub strake perhaps you can leave it as is?
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Instead of raising the winch, which would give the winch more leverage against the mounting bolts and backing plate, I'd put an angled spacer under the cheek block, to bring it a bit further outboard and give it a better lead to the winch.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.