SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Filthy Shore Power Cord Solution? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/62976-filthy-shore-power-cord-solution.html)

Groven 03-17-2010 09:33 AM

Filthy Shore Power Cord Solution?

I'm sick of cleaning scuffs off my boat from grimy shore power cords! New cords seem to go tacky after just months in the South Florida sun. Does anybody have a creative solution for an inexpensive DIY to retrofit shore power cords with a cover that addresses this problem? Marinco sells a cover, but it is $50 and only 24'; I'm looking for something simpler and much cheaper. A company in the UK sells power cords with a rope cover, which is brilliant, but it isn't a retrofit.

sailingdog 03-17-2010 10:15 AM

Cut one end off the cord, put tubular webbing over the cord, put a new end on the cord.

PorFin 03-17-2010 10:16 AM

Umm -- just a thought here, but wouldn't just cleaning the cord periodically work? Maybe I'm not fully understanding the problem...

sailingdog 03-17-2010 10:34 AM

Cleaning the cord doesn't fix the problem of them breaking down under UV exposure and getting sticky.

k1vsk 03-17-2010 10:39 AM

Buy some hangers sold at most marine store which allow you to hang both a shore power cord and dock water hose off the lifelines keeping them off the deck thereby eliminating the mess and additionally avoiding tripping on the clutter. Alternatively, run the cable along the dock to the shore power plug rather than along the deck.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

PorFin 03-17-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 581834)
Cleaning the cord doesn't fix the problem of them breaking down under UV exposure and getting sticky.

OK, I missed the point (nothing new there.) I inferred "tacky" as to mean "looks crappy" instead of "tacky" as in sticky or gummy.

DwayneSpeer 03-17-2010 11:59 AM

wire organizer

Why not use the split loom wire cover material. The half inch size should work fine and would eliminate the need to take one end off. You can even get it in yellow if you prefer. See Corrugated Tubing, Flex Tubing, Split Loom Tubing, Flexible Plastic Tubing, Corrugated Wire Loom for a source.

ottos 03-17-2010 01:03 PM

Has anyone tried applications of 303? Preferably while the cord is still new...

billangiep 03-17-2010 01:38 PM

Removing the tacky,sticky and the gummy...
In the shade and after removing the cigarette from you mouth, soak a rag with acetone and give her a good rubbing. A few years a ago I bought a used cord on the cheap and this cleaned it up nicely. Also works for old fenders.

COOL 03-17-2010 02:42 PM

I recall that years ago, cruisers were touting
Avon's Skin So Soft as a multi-purpose cleaner.
It supposedly works well for cleaning gummy
plastic and rubber.