Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2010

pkats is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint recommendation...

I need some advice on bottom paint for my Beneteau 343. It is being used in NJ and it is being hauled out of the water at the end of the season. I was thinking about using modified epoxy Interlux Ultra with Biolux paint for the first time and next season I will start using copolymer Interlux Micron Extra w/Biolux. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not start using the copolymer ablative now? Also, you're probably better off with a Pettit ablative than the Interlux ones, as they take a much lower speed to start ablating. The interlux ones need almost 6-7 knots to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
.... The interlux ones need almost 6-7 knots to start.
SD,
Over the years I've been happy with the performance of Micron Extra on a 4 knot SB, I guess this may be another opportunity to learn sumthing, where's the knock come from?
Old 03-17-2010

sail4lifer is on a distinguished road
ive done alot of detective work , and if you ask the boatyard guys- the painters, pettit by far has the best bang for the buck.. the marinas like the higher prices , think about it, if they mark up 100 dollar paint 30 percent they make 30, if they sell u a 200 dollar product , guess what , 60 bucks profit...

so many of my friends have told me( at holiday pt on south river )that they have been using hydrocoat for over ten yrs with no issues.. it goes over anything, no sanding between coats , just a scrub brush or pressure wash , and off i go , for about 100 bucks a gallon . i checked that micron csc has even less copper than hydrocoat! and micron extra has the same... so even if it were to ever have a stray barnacle, its totally worth the 100 dollar savings.. ps - port annapolis marina beat the current west marine price for me. im happy.

also im using their barnacle spray for my running gear. that too is said to work great in my area.

have a great spring launch!
Old 03-17-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
This is all new to me. This will be my first spring prep and launch as I got the boat last summer. I have no idea what kind of paint the prior owner used. Can someone explain more about the various kinds of bottom paint. My marina is offering Aquagaurd a water based claiming it can go on right over existing paint. I went to www.aquaguard-boatpaint.com and did not find out much. I got the spring boat prep from west marine and see a whole bunch of different paints ranging from $109 to $250 some say ablative others do not.

Also the prior owner did this himself before he sold me the boat. (I do not know if he did it right) Is this something I can do? Do I need to sand the bottom first. The boat was power washed when put up for the winter. I only noiticed 1 barnacle Most of the paint is still on except around the bottom of the keel and near the bow at the water line where the mooring ball would hit the boat.

How much paint do I need? I have a 28 foot with a 4.5 foot draft.
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would be wary of putting anything over an unknown bottom paint. That can be a very expensive mistake, as if the two are not compatible, your new coating of bottom paint may just slough off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekenna View Post
This is all new to me. This will be my first spring prep and launch as I got the boat last summer. I have no idea what kind of paint the prior owner used. Can someone explain more about the various kinds of bottom paint. My marina is offering Aquagaurd a water based claiming it can go on right over existing paint. I went to www.aquaguard-boatpaint.com and did not find out much. I got the spring boat prep from west marine and see a whole bunch of different paints ranging from $109 to $250 some say ablative others do not.

Also the prior owner did this himself before he sold me the boat. (I do not know if he did it right) Is this something I can do? Do I need to sand the bottom first. The boat was power washed when put up for the winter. I only noiticed 1 barnacle Most of the paint is still on except around the bottom of the keel and near the bow at the water line where the mooring ball would hit the boat.

How much paint do I need? I have a 28 foot with a 4.5 foot draft.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
I've been using Petit's Ablative paints since 1984 on my 37' sloop, and there is nothing easier or more effective. Apply the first coat a different color from the next couple coats and when that color shows up a year or two later, you simply paint over it. (New England & Chesapeake)

Moe
Old 03-18-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
This is based on my experience with Pettit Trinidad. Bottom painting is not hard unless you are looking for perfection. Do make sure the paints are compatible as mentioned. Use the proper respirator and coveralls as you are sanding. Tape off the boot-stripe and have at. Mixing the paint is a pain but critical to a good job. Remember to save some paint for the areas when they, not you, move the jack-stands and blocks. And add extra coats the high wear areas. I have used 1 to 1.5 gal on my 30’ 3.5’ draft full keel boat. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 03-18-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Glad to see another Beneteau 343 owner on this board!

We just hauled after 1 year. I'm switching from Petit Trinidad SR to an Ablative over 2 coats of epoxy barrier coat. I have to have my keel rust issues taken care of (warranty though on that one).

My diver said Ablative works better in the brackish water in our area where my boat is kept...I have to use it once a month to ensure that the stuff sheers clean though.

Plus the thought of years and years of hard epoxies building up makes me think about the painful yard work that will eventually have to be done.

With ablative...I can wait for the paint to wear then then haul when barrier coat is showing and paint over it after minimal prep.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.