Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2010

Rustyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Simrad Broadband Radar in PNW

Seems to me that this radar would be especially suitable for a sailboat given its very low current draw and instant on feature. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Broadband radar is high up on my wish list also. From what I have read, the power consumption is half of the Raymarine or Garmin units while transmitting and less than a quarter of their consumption on standby. I also like the fact that their are displays from 5" up (Lowrance) that can interface with a broadband transducer.

Several years ago I was on a buddy's boat enjoying a sail across Long Island sound and we didn't realize that the radar had been on since our early morning departure until we went to start the engine to enter his marina and had no juice! (I know, we messed up by leaving the battery switch set to "all", but hey, it was a nice day - who wants to go down below?) Anyway, I have been waiting for something like this to come along before I could consider adding another load to my minimal electrical system.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The major advantages of broadband radar are:

1) No warm up time
2) Much easier placement of radome due to very low emissions
3) Safer due to very low emissions
4) Better discrimination of nearby targets

However, they apparently have a problem with discrimination at longer ranges and with interference from other radars. Also, a broadband unit won't trigger or read a RACON IIRC.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsull View Post
Several years ago I was on a buddy's boat enjoying a sail across Long Island sound and we didn't realize that the radar had been on since our early morning departure until we went to start the engine to enter his marina and had no juice!
Bill,

A conventional 2K radar draws ~28W while transmitting and 9W in standby. A full day of transmitting would have drawn down the batteries by ~56Ah. A 4K radar would have consumed ~68 Ah in 24 Hr. As pointed out in the above post - there are advantages to broadband, but power consumption seems a chimera. No food fight intended - just "doing the math".

Last edited by wwilson; 03-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2010

I don't understand from your post just what math you did to make your point that broadband's smaller power consumption is of not consequence which I presume is what "chimera" means. Please explain.
Old 03-18-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

The point is that 56 Ah of battery draw down is pretty minimal on a cruising boat with any kind of house battery bank capacity, particularly when the reality of radar is that it is not a daily use application and when accompanied with engine use the draw is easily acceptable to most sailors.

The power difference is 11Watts between broadband and conventional. I concede that 17 is less than 28, but at the end of the day not enough to replace an existing radar and given the negatives already cited about broadband, maybe not enough incentive for many to select broadband.

Last edited by wwilson; 03-18-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: actual power differences
Old 03-18-2010

Got it. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Hey Rusty,

Sorry if I seemed to rain on the parade. I didn't mean to appear the Luddite. I think broadband is an interesting new technology and is well worth a look - I just think that reduced power is a secondary consideration unless of course you use it more than most of us do and hate to hear an engine running.

Here is an interesting review of the technology: http://www.navigate-us.com/files/upl..._Radar-1-1.pdf

Now, if I could find a refrigerator that only ate 34 Ah / day!

Last edited by wwilson; 03-18-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add tech review pdf
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How big a fridge did you need. I run a 22 qt. Engel MT 27 off of a solar panel 24x7 during the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
Hey Rusty,

Sorry if I seemed to rain on the parade. I didn't mean to appear the Luddite. I think broadband is an interesting new technology and is well worth a look - I just think that reduced power is a secondary consideration unless of course you use it more than most of us do and hate to hear an engine running.

Here is an interesting review of the technology: http://www.navigate-us.com/files/upl..._Radar-1-1.pdf

Now, if I could find a refrigerator that only ate 34 Ah / day!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for introducing some hard numbers into the discussion and I don't take it as starting a "food fight" at all. I'm sure other factors beyond the radar contributed to not being able to start the engine that day, but letting it transmit all day didn't help either.

That doesn't discount the fact that radar can be a significant portion of daily power consumption on a sailboat, perhaps only exceeded by refrigeration or an anchor windlass. Since I don't have refrigeration or a windlass, a radar will certainly be one of the larger loads in my minimal system, so power consumption is important to me. Others may value other features more and that is their right - Sailnet's a place to both share our interest in all things sailing and celebrate our differences!

P.S. I noticed your hail port is Herrington Harbor - I used to sail out of Worton Creek in the northern Chesapeake and I miss the longer season and the great anchorages there. I hope you're enjoying some early season sailing with the weather this week!
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.