Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2010
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Prop/Shaft Cutters?

I have contemplated getting one for a while, the main reason for not is safety concerns when swimming or cleaning the bottom. I mostly catch a line when sailing, not motoring? I'm also not so keen on just cutting a line to someones crab pot because I wasn't paying attention (except for those who insist on putting their pots in the channels ) Last season my prop was fouled by the grass around Tangier Island and I also caught a piece of rope which I was able to get off in reverse.

I rarely see one of any-kind installed, so maybe that answers the question itself?

But if you were to recommend one what would it be? I like the Shaft Shark, mostly because of the ease of installation. This review doesn't mention the Shark, but one very similar. http://www.prop-protector.co.uk/SAIL...acc16d5a90691e

The Spurs seems to be a good design, but more involved installation: Spurs Marine - Shaft Mounted Cutters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Spurs hands down. Though I am in Maine and no longer use them after an unfortunate diving accident with one where I sliced my hand using the Shaft Razor version. It's a razor all right, just not one that always cuts the line....

They are NOT fool proof and you can still pick up a floating line that will foul them and need to dive. They do seem to cut connected line but not always floating, which we get lots of with a spring tide. I prefer to not dive with one mounted as they become very, very dangerous...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-20-2010

renbluefish is on a distinguished road
I saw the Spurs display at the New England Boat Show in Boston, it was very impressive and didn't seem to complicated as long as you get your shaft size correct.
Old 03-20-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Chef,

Here is another in the "spurs" style. I can vouch for these, though they too will slice you every year as you clean the prop.

Ambassador Marine - Home of the Stripper Propeller Protector

Here is a test/comparison article from Sailing Today (UK - I think) http://www.ropestripper.com/document...opecutters.pdf

Last edited by wwilson; 03-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Lines and cutters

The Ericson sailors gave this topic a good airing along with some philosophy for added value, a while back.
Line Cutter opinions? - EY.o Information Exchange

(Not that "reinventing the wheel" is a bad thing, or 'net forums would be a lot less interesting...)

I should add that we still have not "tested" ours, having dodged every line we have seen so far.

L
Old 03-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend not installing one... they're dangerous and don't always work. Being aware of what is around your boat when underway makes much more sense IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.