SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Micron Extra vs. Micron CSC vs. Petit ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/63051-micron-extra-vs-micron-csc-vs-petit.html)

CLucas 03-20-2010 09:00 AM

Micron Extra vs. Micron CSC vs. Petit ???

First day of spring -- what better time to begin discussing the merits of bottom paint... :)

I've had good results with Micron Extra on my P30 in Western LI Sound, but am wondering if I can save some money going over to Micron CSC without having to strip the entire bottom (don't think I need to, but checking in with the experts here...). Are there any Micron Extra-compatible Petit bottom paints I should consider. Happy with the results I've had thus far (and usually steer away from fixing what ain't broke) -- just looking to save a bit of $.

Fighting the urge to cut away the shrink wrap -- if I do it today, we're certain to get a blizzard next week... trust me on this.

Chris

danielgoldberg 03-21-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLucas (Post 582966)
Fighting the urge to cut away the shrink wrap -- if I do it today, we're certain to get a blizzard next week... trust me on this.

Then by all means, please, LEAVE YOUR COVER ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're right across the sound from you, and I really can live without any more snow, as we likely are launching this coming week or next. :D :D

tommays 03-21-2010 08:29 AM

I used the Micron Extra in 2009 and its gonna last for 2010 making it a good value in IMHP

sailingfool 03-21-2010 09:44 AM

You can answer your compatibility questions here:
http://www.yachtpaint.com/Images/15_20650.pdf

Pub911 03-21-2010 09:32 PM

I have used both CSC and Extra in on my boat in LI sound. CSC allows green slime growth that I don't recall seeing in years past when I was using Extra. I'm applying Extra this year to see if memory meets reality. Both of these paints have been used sucessfully as multi-season - two seasons without reapplication between seasons with no significant growth in either season. I never pushed it beyond 2 seasons.

Livia 03-22-2010 11:15 AM

Up here in the PNW we were using expensive Micron and on the suggestion of a salty gentleman that we could switch to the (relatively) cheap stuff the fisherman were using, Micron XXX Bottomkote, and do just fine between yearly haul-outs. We slapped a few coats over our previous Micron. One year later and it looks just like the expensive stuff did after a year. I'm sure when we get more tropical we'll have to go more hardcore.

Maine Sail 03-22-2010 12:22 PM

If you want an ablative

If you want an ablative that won't build up over time and one that will actually ablade (wear away)the Petit line is better than Interlux in my personal experience. CSC & Extra don't begin to ablade or wear away until 6-7 knots. Most sailboats don't maintian these speeds long enough and a while you get build up.

I have now done three complete bottom jobs on three seperate boats and learned the hard way with CSC & Extra. Pettit Ultima (SSA- SSA Super Soft Ablative) is perhaps the best low speed multi-season ablative for sailboats. It begins to ablade at 2-3 knots according to tech support and is works extremely well for sailboats if you don't want a thick flaking paint build up at ten or twelve years out. Pettit Hydrocoat is like CSC or Extra and does not begin to ablade until higher speeds.

The whole idea of an ablative is to avoid build up and expose new paint to marine growth. If your boat can't go the speeds necessary to activate the ablading action of a paint, why use it..??

Just my experience after using both the Micron line and the Pettit stuff...

MC1 03-22-2010 01:35 PM

Is the Petit SSA considered a multi-season paint? Can one give it a light wet-scruff at the beginning of the next season and expect it to last a second (or third) year, or does it ablate so quickly that it is considered a one-year paint?

Here in colder fresh water (Lake Ontario), the Micron Extra results in a light bio-film at the end of the season that power-washes off easily, then I can re-use it with a touch up around the water line the next year.

blt2ski 03-22-2010 02:15 PM

I get 2-3 yrs out of micron extra in Puget sound, as did the previous owner.

Now with that in mind, I will sorta echo what mainesail is saying in that i have a pretty good build up of paint on the bottom after 25 yrs, and it is looking close to needing a complete grind down to gelcoat.

Generally speaking tho, one can paint over an ablative with a different type or brand ablative paint. There are some exceptions, look at the manufactures suggestions as to whether you can or can not paint over what you have with out doing more.

I do get some slime with my bottom, and also as mainsail mentions, it takes 5-6 knots before things seem to get removed. I was out friday, hit 5-6 knots for the first time since Oct for any length of time, and the bottom was a bit cleaner on the return than the previous trips out where we were barely over 4 knots. I'm toying with a hard paint, as we can in-water clean hard paints here in Puget Sound, but ablatives it is illegal to majorly frowned upon.

Marty

redhead78 03-22-2010 04:13 PM

Maine, I am slightly confused, please bear with me, this type of paint is bizzaro world to a carpenter. I have been using Micron CSC ,PO said it s best.I seem to have a pretty good build up of paint, my boat is not a fast one. I have areas where its peeled I usually give it a scraping in the spring, feather the edges, prime coat the peeled spots, quick scuff and paint. An old boatman told me this is not rocket science scape paint and enjoy sailing it. Should I use petit,ssa ultima ablative tio stop the build up? Red