Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2010

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
206 epoxy on teak

Grab rail before any sanding.

My plan was to caulk around the perimeter and paint with Imron, but I'll have to rethink that. I didn't know the 206 hardner would dry so clear. Only one coat so far. The upper is the port side. I didn't take a picture of the starboard before sanding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 03-20-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
You're going to cover the epoxy with something like Cetol or varnish I hope? Looks good though.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-20-2010

I'd really wanted to use Imron because I know how well it stands up. I'm not going to be able to come back to the boat for 5-6 mos. I have to use something that'll hold up. I'm not as concerned with the look of the teak as much as stopping leaks and preserving the rails.

Old 03-20-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I have used polyurethane and captains varnish over epoxy with good results. The weak areas are the edges. If any water gets in the epoxy will lift.

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 03-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you haven't removed the handrail and properly re-bedded it, there's a very good chance that anything you do now will not work for very long. Caulking around the base rarely works for long.

BTW, as others have said, epoxy REQUIRES some sort of coating to protect it from UV damage.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Caulking around the base rarely works for long.
When I was here 4mos ago, I used clear silicon. That worked perfectly for that period of time. No leaks, even with no finish on the teak. I did it in a pinch for lack of time. I bet with finished out teak and 4200 or butyl caulk, it'll last for quite a good period, but I just don't have the time now to pull the teak...have to go back to work 600 miles away.

Old 03-21-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
The hardner 207 is made for this situation. I use epifane on top of it for extra protection.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-21-2010

I was thinking of Interlux Perfection (2 part paint) to go over the epoxy. Anybody have any experience with that product?

.....and maybe 3m 4000 for caulking