Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2010

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Autohelm troubleshooting

I just installed an ST4000 plus autohelm on Yofy. We have hydraulic wheel steering and the autohelm is working but I'm trying to troubleshoot a couple of problems.

First there is a terrific squeeky sound (like its making an effort to turn the wheel) with every small wheel adjustment. I have taken it apart to check for binding problems but I can't see anything.

Second it is keeping a wobbly track - zigzaging along the track. I asume that might be becaue I don't have a rudder indicator, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody have any suggestions with these two problems?

Manny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might also want to check the autopilot's settings, since the sensitivity is somewhat adjustable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2010

Yofy is on a distinguished road
I think I may have found my answer for the binding/ squeeky noise problem. Originally I did search here before posting and didn't find anything. Robyn just did a search on google and came up with another thread here on sailnet that looks really helpful.

I have tried to adjust the autohelm's settings sailingdog but perhaps I need to play around a little more. Right now the noise is driving us both nuts so I think I need to solve that first.

Manny

Old 03-24-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Binding/squeaking is likely in the drive ring.. if it's really an ST4000 then it's an older style (did you buy it used?) The black plastic drive rings are inferior to the new grey ones and often some of the parts can break off inside leading to the binding.

If the boat's steering an "S" track on auto the gain's likely too high for your travelling speed. IIRC if you set it but don't "save" it the gain resets itself each time you power the system up.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)