Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-19-2003

kmeeks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kmeeks Send a message via Skype™ to kmeeks
Base of mast - ideas?

Currently, the halyards for the main & jib are cleated at the mast. Obviously, leading the lines back to the cockpit will improve safety at sea by eliminating the need to be on deck to lower the sails - but I am reluctant to drill holes in the base of the mast to attach blocks, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with optional approaches? Perhaps a stainless steel ring that can be clamped to the mast, with appropriate connections to secure blocks to it?

I''ve looked at several marine supply sites - but haven''t found what I''m looking for yet...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
Base of mast - ideas?

C&C had a nice arrangement with a casting set into the cabintop partners. The metal protected the sides of the partners and provided holes all around for attaching blocks, unused halyards, or whatever. The mast stepped through the middle. If you can''t go that route, and are worried about weakening the mast with mounting holes, you could put a metal sleeve inside or outside the mast to reinforce it; it wouldn''t have to be too high or big to support a couple of blocks, but it does have to be strong- it''s taking the full force of the halyards.
Old 02-19-2003

jklewissf is on a distinguished road
Base of mast - ideas?

I* ran halyards aft on my NorSea 27 and just installed some beefy pad eyes on the cabin top around the mast. I think I paid about $5.00 each for nice cast ss pad eyes and installed them to a backing plate with 1/4 inch bolts.

These blocks can take considerable load if the mast pumps very much so I would make the mounting strong.

I have seen some boats where the turning blocks are right next to the mast and hit it sometimes.
Old 02-21-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
Base of mast - ideas?

Guess it depends on how your mast is stepped and the type of mast partner. My mast is keel-stepped so the partners are probably different from yours. The partners are two heavy aluminum rings, one topside and the other in the cabin. They are bolted together with 1/4" x 3.5" stainless bolts. I just removed three of those bolts and replaced them with three stainless eyebolts. To those eyebolts I can attach blocks. So far I am only using one, just for the boom vang. I haven''t taken the lines back yet because I really like my clean cabin top.
Old 02-21-2003

Stan S is on a distinguished road
Base of mast - ideas?

I used Halyard blocks from Garhauer on my Bristol 24. These are thru bolted the cabin top. I had to move them away from the mast because of a 4 inch timber glassed into cabin top that supports the mast. The halyard angle has not caused a problem. Read some of the sailnet articles on this before you start drilling holes.
Old 02-21-2003

BigZ is on a distinguished road
Base of mast - ideas?

If the mast is stepped on the deck you could use a mast organizer that is inserted between the deck and the mast. Dwyer, and I''m sure other places, have these plates with about 4 slots on each side of the plate to which you attach your blocks.
Or, you could just wrap a few loops of good rope around the base of your mast. Put blocks with swivels on the rope first. I did this a few years ago just so I could mount the hardware to direct lines back to the cockpit. I always intended to get the organizer but keep forgetting. The rope with the attached blocks works fine; just looks a bit odd, but so do I, so it all works out. The loops don''t ride up the mast because the vang attachment stops them. Also, there is rarely a direct vertical pull to move them. It sounds funky, but it does work.
Old 02-25-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road
Base of mast - ideas?

I was worried about drilling into the mast as well, but was told confidently by my local rigger that machine screws (2 for each block I installed) would not significantly weaken the mast. So....I installed a cheek block on each side of the mast approx. 3in. above the cabin top, ran the halyards(main,jib,spinniker) through a harken deck organizer and right to my cockpit. Works like a charm and have had no problems.