Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to use Corelle dishes aboard a boat, DO NOT USE SERRATED KNIVES ON THEM. The serrated knives can damage the plates and make them far more likely to shatter if dropped. Corning actually warns you not to use serrated cutlery on them IIRC.

As for the dish holders, they're fairly easy to make up out of acrylic, especially if you make a heater to bend the acrylic with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Wow - we've been using serrated steak knives on our Corelle for over a year and they look perfect. Maybe our knives suck?

I couldn't find anything about knives on Corelle's use and care section of their website for the vitrelle/glass version.

//
//
Old 03-23-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
LOL,

12 post
11 do's and don't's
1 answer to the question
Old 03-23-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Indeed Poopdeck.

It might not be very convenient, but what about just slicing up some thin cardboard to place between each dish? You could also go to any self-storage place and buy a "dishpak". It's a package of bubblewrap sleeves that you place individual bowls and dishes in.

This might sound a little crazy, but once you pick a suitable "shim" to place between the dishes, perhaps you could find some sort of light duty, elastic strap to wrap around the bundle of dishes?

I think I understand the issue- it's not one of breakage, but perhaps an issue of noise from the dishes rattling in their storage?

Aside from newspaper or bubblewrap sleeves, I'm not sure what to suggest for bowls and glasses.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-23-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We use the non skid rubber-like sheets to pad each dish and the bottom of the rack. We use cheap china and haven't broken one yet.
Old 03-23-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Only a year? Try 45 years for ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Wow - we've been using serrated steak knives on our Corelle for over a year and they look perfect. Maybe our knives suck?

I couldn't find anything about knives on Corelle's use and care section of their website for the vitrelle/glass version.
I'm sure a lawyer wrote the warning... or maybe they just don't give us good knives.

As for answering the original question, we keep the non-skid placemats sort of wraped around them and the cabnets have doors. We have a cat and don't lean much, but we can snap very quickly side-to-side. I can't imagine them chipping in a cabnet, but they could be noisy without padding. We've stored them on edge for many years on one boat - it's safe if there is something soft on the bottom - but I didn't like it as well as flat. They bang around if a few are out.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-23-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You can easily make up separators by drilling holes in two boards (one to go above the dishes, the other below them) and putting thin wood or plastic dowel rods in between the holes. Very little labor and voila, a custom dish rack where they can only rattle a litttle bit between the dowels, with no stacking.

"While it's true, that pyroceram is durable and micro-wavable when this stuff does break it shatters, almost explodes into a million pieces of very sharp chards." I'll vouch for that. If you drop Corelle (the US trademark for that stuff) exactly the wrong way you'll swear a bomb went off. Although Corning used to replace the piece if you sent it back to them. Or sent most of it back to them.

Personally I think serrated knives are best for hacking through things, I've never met a serrated knife that worked on anything I'd want to eat, any better than a straight knife with a well-kept edge on it. Never met a serrated knife that could part a line any better either. Great for sawing wood though.
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
PDP—

You should learn to count better... at least two answer the question... mine at #11 and post #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
LOL,

12 post
11 do's and don't's
1 answer to the question

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-24-2010

Yofy is on a distinguished road
It's all going to depend on what your galley storage space allows. I like flat storage for plates best. Then you can stack one plate on top of another (you can put a thin pice of bubble wrap in between for shock absorbers if you need) and you can front the space/locker/box with a covering piece of wood shaped just like in your drawing. You can make another space like that for your bowls. The "U" type opening on the cover will allow you to remove a plate or bowl. Problem is we've never lived on a boat with enough galley space to provide that luxury.

When we bought Yofy she had a rack simular to what T37Chef posted. Its a nice rack, but it stuck way out into our galley and wouldn't hold our bowls. Manny converted a locker by creating a hinged door that flips down to access the plates and bowls. The bowls lie flat, but the plates stand on their edges. The way we have so far found to do this is by using a portion of a plate rack that we cut off of a dish drainer. Its definetly NOT ideal and we are still brainstorming for a better solution. I curse every time I have to access the plates from that locker.

We have ceramic plates and don't regret them one bit. But I would never use cardboard as anti shock absorber material. Cardboard is serious bait for cockroaches!!

Robyn

Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

The thin foam that some electronics are wrapped in is a good separator layer for dishes. Doesn't rot, doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't feed cockroaches.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.