Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-22-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Headstay replacement and Harken MkI furler

Hi folks,
Our 1984 Sabre 34 has a Harken MkI furler, which for the year that we've owned the boat has worked flawlessly. We don't know what year it was installed, but since it's a MkI, I'd guess in the 80s.

We may be replacing the standing rigging (another thread and another topic). On these furling units, as I underdstand it, the bottom "turnbuckle" on the headstay is specific to the furler. Assuming we can get those parts (so the entire headstay is renewed), then theoretically we could replace the headstay and keep our old Harken furler.

So my question is this...is that a dumb idea? I mean the Harken works fine. And if available, we'd be happy to replace a few parts and do some maintenance to keep it in good working order. But is this one of those situations where if one replaces the headstay one really should replace the furler too (simply because of age)?

(Oh, if it matters, we're sailing on the Chesapeake and not planning any ocean passages anytime soon. If we were, I wouldn't ask this question).
-J
Old 03-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not have a rigger look at it to evaluate whether it needs to be replaced or not. The furler could be much newer than that, if it was bought as a discontinued item... No reason to replace the furler if you can get the necessary parts IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Why not have a rigger look at it to evaluate whether it needs to be replaced or not. The furler could be much newer than that, if it was bought as a discontinued item... No reason to replace the furler if you can get the necessary parts IMHO.
Well, I've had a rigger look at the rig, and he said overall everything looked to be in very good condition. My issue with asking a rigger about the furler specifically is that they make money on selling me gear and new rigging. So if I ask, he's going to tell me I should really replace it. At least that's been my experience thus far. Not saying there aren't riggers out there who will be less biased, just saying I haven't found one yet.
Old 03-23-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
When we replaced the standing rigging on our previous Dana 24, we installed a new headstay but kept the Harken Mk1 Unit 0 Furler.

There were no issues with taking this approach. The old unit still worked fine, before and after the headstay change.

If the existing furling unit were to fail at some point down the road, there's nothing to prevent you from getting a new one at that point. More likely, it will keep on trucking for a long time.

P.S. But if you really covet the newer units, you might see about selling the existing one to someone that is looking for a low-cost way to get into roller furling.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joz—

If you hire a rigger on the understanding that you're just looking for a second opinion, most of the better ones will give you the truth.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-23-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Joz—

If you hire a rigger on the understanding that you're just looking for a second opinion, most of the better ones will give you the truth.
Maybe this would be a good reason to contact David's son?

Best rigger just moved to Annapolis

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-23-2010

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
We have 1979 Sabre 34 MKI. We replaced all the standing rigging 2 years ago and kept our 30 year old Profurl Roller Fuller. A professional rigger did the work. We then purchased a new headsail last season. Now we are seriously considering a new Harken MKIV roller fuller. So in my limited experience it is OK to use a new headstay with an older roller fuller. If your roller furler works fine then I suggest make some upgrades to the furler and get the new standing rigging. Having the Norseman connectors is an added bonus.
Old 03-23-2010
Unpaid Intern

Thanks everyone. We're going to keep the Harken for now. It's works fine. As for standing rigging, well, I found a rigger who isn't saying I need to replace everything right off the bat just because it's old. He's saying they'll come look at it, and let me know what they think might need attention, if anything. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Cheers!
-J
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

Joz—

If he doesn't work out or you need another opinion, see the link that JRP posted.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2010
Unpaid Intern

Hi SD, actually they are one in the same. While I don't know if it will be David's son coming to look at the rig (I'm much closer to the Annapolis location), I decided to call them (and I mentioned Steve's name and that I'd heard good things). So far, so good.

Thanks!
-J