Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2010

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Used knotmeters - nowhere to be found

Wow, I thought finding a used knotmeter would just require me to log onto EBAY, search for knotmeter, and a ton of options would pop up. Well, not the case!

I have an older MOOR knotmeter and the gauge is no longer functional and it is well beyond repairing it. The trandsucer/paddle is still in the hull, and I do not know if it even works.

I wanted to put in a knotmeter as my GF likes to fine tune everything to see how it affects boat speed, so I figured I would put another one in. Wow, big surprise. If I lived in the US, I am sure I could go around some of the consignment shops or second hand stores and find one, but since I am in Montreal, that is not an option. Any ideas where I could track a used one down over the net? I have done the google thing with little luck. Worst case, I could buy another one from MOOR, but I am trying to save some bucks for new sails. Any ideas appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What make/model MOOR knotmeter do you have? Including that basic information on a post like this makes it possible to answer the question more easily, as someone may know of a replacement or even have one in their possession.

Not including that information is a N00b mistake, and I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you avoid them.

I'd also point out that the bulk of the transducers in the marine market are not actually made by the instrument manufacturers, but by Airmar, and your paddlewheel may well be one of Airmar's units. If so, there may be a number of displays that it would work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

If all you are interested is in your speed, why not spend $100 on a cheap GPS? That will give you Speed Over Ground (SOG) which should be good enough.

good luck,
Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

Old 03-23-2010

eolon is on a distinguished road
I have a Moor self-powered analog knotmeter that works great and I think it is older than I am. I replaced the paddlewheel last year, and it took a while to find the right one, but I eventually did. You can buy a new Moor analog knotmeter for about $150.

Ebay goes through cycles - one time there won't be anything, the next day there might be 50 to choose from - keep looking.

By the way, unless it is an obvious problem like broken wire connection, the transducer is potted and nearly impossible to fix. The meter is repairable, albeit you need a good set of teeny watchmaker tools - but the failure of the analog meter is usually corrosion, and a good cleaning is often all that is required.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

Last edited by eolon; 03-23-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: i r speel gud
Old 03-23-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
How handy are you? I have a box of old Signet parts including transducers, displays etc for Signet 267 knotmeter. Free if you pay for shipping or pick up.
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While SOG is useful, sometimes STW is more useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

If all you are interested is in your speed, why not spend $100 on a cheap GPS? That will give you Speed Over Ground (SOG) which should be good enough.

good luck,
Barry

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2010

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
call Moor and tell them what your prob. is and if you want send it to them they will repair or replace it at your cost depending on what is wrong and cost. my brother has these units on his boat and i have Raytheon and IMI Combi he had a prob. one of the units sent it back for service. it's fixed our's are not because they can't be because of age. his are as old as our's but will still be in service as long as co. is in bus.
Old 03-23-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Better yet go to their offices in person: Purchase Information
They have offices in Canada, eh?
Moor makes what are probably considered the bottom of the line stuff but it is reflected in the prices of their merchandise.
That said, I have a Moor knot meter on my boat.
Good luck or is it Bon Chance?

Everybody has one:

Old 03-23-2010

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Piling on I realize, but...

I went through this routine in another thread and eventually bought a Garmin triducer for around $200 that fits in the same hole for crying out lound - talk about plug n play. It talks nmea 183 and there are others that'll talk nmea 2000. If you have any instrument that'll listen to nmea and has an open port you're all set. Even if you have no open port, an nmea mux is pretty cheap too and will manage the flow of nmea from two or more talkers and send a cohesive collated message to a single input port on a display.

If that doesn't make sense, ask and I'll go into more detail.
Old 03-24-2010

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
How handy are you? I have a box of old Signet parts including transducers, displays etc for Signet 267 knotmeter. Free if you pay for shipping or pick up.
Wow, I'll shoot you a pm.

Paul