SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   removing painted numbers from inflatable (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/63184-removing-painted-numbers-inflatable.html)

anemoneii 03-23-2010 04:43 PM

removing painted numbers from inflatable

I just bought a PVC inflatable from another state and am looking for suggestions to remove the registration numbers. I guess I could just move to that state!

sailor50 03-23-2010 07:01 PM

Are they plastic sticky numbers or paint? You could make a temporary letter board to hang over the sides with the correct ID.

Flybyknight 03-23-2010 07:06 PM

Acetone

Bobio 03-23-2010 07:30 PM

You might try a method I have found effective in removing painted letters from an Awlgrip painted hull surface. I applied thick coat of Peel Away Marine Safety Strip to the painted letters using a paint brush and waited 24 hours. Most of the residue was removable using a plastic razor blade and the painted hull surface was not affected; this agent is water soluble and I doubt it would hurt the PVC . I then used Fromby's Furniture Refinisher with a white Formbys pad to remove all the residue but I expect that part of my approach could be detrimental to the PVC; you could wait longer than 24 hours or maybe a second coat of Peel Away would be better for you.

These are products I just happen to have on hand after years of buying boat stuff.

Bobio

anemoneii 03-24-2010 04:27 AM

Yes they are painted on

sailingdog 03-24-2010 08:18 AM

Don't use paint strippers on a PVC inflatable. I'd highly recommend just painting over the existing numbers and then painting new ones on top. The paint will help protect the PVC from UV damage.

CaptainForce 03-24-2010 01:35 PM

What about a simple application of white paint over the existing numbers followed by your new painted numbers?

PalmettoSailor 03-24-2010 02:33 PM

What kind of paint would you use to paint your background field? I have a stencil kit at home and had planned to use a number board, but found the material I had was too short for the registration number. Now I'm thinking I'll just paint them straight onto the dink but I need to paint over the reminants of the old numbers first.

anemoneii 03-25-2010 03:59 PM

Does acetone not affect PVC?

hellosailor 03-25-2010 08:54 PM

I'd paint over them with BLACK or gray paint first, because those pigments tend to be the most opaque and will be best at concealing the letters. They'll still stand proud a bit, but the only other way to really hide them would be to glue (using the proper glue and material to match your dink) a patch over them, and put the new registration on that.

Solvents, sanding...might work with care and depending on what kind of paint they used. But why risk any damage to the material at all?