Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-24-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Garhauer E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System

Has anyone tried, or seen, the Garhauer E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System?

Garhauer Marine Hardware -868508

Their pictures are not great, but I get the idea. I was looking for something else and ran accross these on their web site. I was thinking of using another system that required the installation of blocks and cleats, with the accompanying hole drilling.

What I like about this system is that it appears that no holes are needed. It is also cheaper and would take up less space on the deck.

What I don't like about it is that, from what I am guessing, it looks like the control line would rub along the side of the car and wear of chafe the line.

For someone who knows, which would I use on a 30 foot boat? I would tend to get the heavy duty one but that might be overkill.

How hard is it to pull the car forward in a good stiff breeze? Does the car slide easily?

Thanks all...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010

I just found this page. This guy installed it and likes it, and has some nice pictures.

Adj. Lead Cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I installed the EZ G-2UB system on my boat. Makes it really simple to adjust the position on my 150% genny even in heavier conditions. You could probably get away with the EZG-1UB, since you're boat is a monohull and has less load on the genny due to heeling...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I replaced the track and car that is used for my storm jib and lapper with one of the Garhauer EX Glides on my 38 footer. I have been very pleased with it so far. I had them customize the end fitting for me so that I have a bit more purchase and can adjust it from the cockpit rather than from the integral camcleat that came standard.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I replaced the track and car that is used for my storm jib and lapper with one of the Garhauer EX Glides on my 38 footer. I have been very pleased with it so far. I had them customize the end fitting for me so that I have a bit more purchase and can adjust it from the cockpit rather than from the integral camcleat that came standard.

Jeff
Thanks SD, nice picture! I'll have to see if I have a 1 inch or 1.24 inch track. The smallest system uses 1 inch track.

Jeff, what mods did you ask for? Do you use the number 2 or the number 3 on your boat?

Old 03-24-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I have been looking at these for a while. When I get through a few other projects I will be making this upgrade.

I have found that for nonracing boats Garhauer is the biggest bang for your buck.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2010
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Got em, use em, love em.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I have found that for nonracing boats Garhauer is the biggest bang for your buck.
Why for non-racing boats?

Old 03-24-2010
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Just purchased and replaced my 19 y.o genoa cars with this system last fall. They are great! The cars alone are phenomenal, byt the easyglide system makes it very easy to use, even in heavy winds with a bit too much sail up. The only problem I had was that I initially used too small a line for the adjuster, and in heavy winds the rope slipped in the clutch a little bit. Went up to a 1/4" line and works fine. My 100# wife can easily adjust them from the cockpit. Garhauer makes the car body to fit your track, so if the current trask is fine, just give them the specifications and they will fit your track. I did that with an old Lewmar system and it fits perfectly. Nice roller bearing (top and bottom) cars.

As you may know, Gaurhauer equipment is often heavier than some of the other major manufacturers. I happen to like that the blocks and cars are slightly "overbuilt" and a little heavier, though some of my racing buddies insist that that extra 6 oz makes a difference in winning or loosing a race.... doubt it. Highly recommended.

If you want picture, PM me and I can take some when I am at the boat.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, the Garhauer genoa fairlead cars only have bearings on the bottom, not the top and bottom as you say. It would add a lot to the cost and do little to the performance to have bearings on the top, since genoa cars are only loaded with an upwards force. There is NO NEED for bearings above the track.

One caveat, the torlon bearings are not held in place by anything more than gravity, so do not remove the rail the cars are shipped on. Butt the rail up to the track, and slide the car from the rail to the track. DAMHIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padean View Post
Just purchased and replaced my 19 y.o genoa cars with this system last fall. They are great! The cars alone are phenomenal, byt the easyglide system makes it very easy to use, even in heavy winds with a bit too much sail up. The only problem I had was that I initially used too small a line for the adjuster, and in heavy winds the rope slipped in the clutch a little bit. Went up to a 1/4" line and works fine. My 100# wife can easily adjust them from the cockpit. Garhauer makes the car body to fit your track, so if the current trask is fine, just give them the specifications and they will fit your track. I did that with an old Lewmar system and it fits perfectly. Nice roller bearing (top and bottom) cars.

As you may know, Gaurhauer equipment is often heavier than some of the other major manufacturers. I happen to like that the blocks and cars are slightly "overbuilt" and a little heavier, though some of my racing buddies insist that that extra 6 oz makes a difference in winning or loosing a race.... doubt it. Highly recommended.

If you want picture, PM me and I can take some when I am at the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.