Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-24-2010
Junior Member - Cleveland

itsme6582 is on a distinguished road
Leaky Keel

My buddy picked up a 1973 Olympic Dolphin 23 with a swing keel last weekend. The previous owner towed it over to his place last night so I stopped by to check it out.

I noticed the back of the keel was wet. It turned out bilge water was slowly seeping from the back of the keel. If water can get out from there I'm sure it can get in too. Where do we start with this?

Last edited by itsme6582; 03-29-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Better photos would help. If that is the swing keel, it may not be water from the bilge, but water from inside the swing keel itself.

It looks like the keel is rusting. Is the swing keel iron or steel? If so, then dropping it and repairing it so that water can't get into it is a necessity. If the keel starts to corrode badly, it can cause some serious problems down the line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2010

Thanks for the feedback. Just that little bit got my mind turning.

I'll get some more pictures this weekend. We took this last night with a flashlight. The port side of the keel is rusted across the entire surface. The starboard side isn't rusted, it may have a few pits of rust but I didn't notice any. I don't know if the keel is iron or steel. How would I figure that out?

This could be water from the keel. There was hardly any water in the bilge. It seemed like more water was coming out than possible if from the bilge. At the same time, the boat's been out of water for 10 years and I imagine water in the keel would have worked it's way out long ago. Maybe towing her a few miles stirred it up enough for it to start seeping.

We were hoping to get the repairs finished in the driveway. Then launch her and take her over to the dock. If we have to drop the keel, we're obviously going to have to get her lifted at the marina (unless someone has an awesome suggestion). Raising her and putting her on jack stands would make some of the other work much easier and that might be a blessing in the end. The downside of dropping the keel is it will have to be the last thing done. I think it's safe to say this is going to require the most work. It would be nice if we could get it out of the way first.
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is on a trailer, you can often build a framework to support the boat and use the trailer to get the framework in place. If you lower the front end of the trailer as low as it will go, it may be possible to put a heavy wooden frame under the aft end of the boat... then you raise the front of the trailer as much as possible and put a framework under the front end of the boat. Done properly, you can then remove the trailer from underneath the boat.

BTW, I've done something similar with my boat when I had her out for sodablasting and bottom painting, and I doubt your boat is as heavy as mine.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-26-2010

Pics to be taken tonight. Another thing I thought about was this water may not even be from the keel. Shortly before noticing this we unclogged the cockpit bailers. Water may have run down the hull to the keel.
Old 03-26-2010
Telstar 28

Even if the water isn't from the keel, the swing keel needs some maintenance ASAP.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-26-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If the keel is cast it is iron. If it is a weldment with lead or whatever inside it is steel. It is most likely iron.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-26-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-28-2010

The case of the leaky keel has been solved. We noticed to dripping keel just after we cleaned out the bailers and 6 inches of water drained from the cockpit. The water ran down the hull and then down the keel. We'll be grinding the rust off the keel and sealing it with epoxy. We also have to apply bottom paint. Not too worried about the swing keel swinging. Once it's down, it's down for the season. I'll post some picks of this dirty dirty boat eventually. We scrubbed the heck out of the deck yesterday and she looks fantastic. It's amazing how much crap was stored on her and everyone will get a kick out of the wiring.
Old 03-28-2010
Telstar 28

Excellent.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.