Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
I have used the cows hitch for on every sail boat I have owned.I did not know what it was called,probably told yrs ago & forgot.Have never had any problems with it.marc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
This may sound a bit redundant.....but if you have one continuous jib sheet...how do you end for end it, to share the wear?

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You don't. When it gets worn enough, you cut it and use it as two separate sheets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
This may sound a bit redundant.....but if you have one continuous jib sheet...how do you end for end it, to share the wear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2010
Wish I never found SN!

I may Just try it.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Old 03-25-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I went to a single sheet due to difficulities in tacking the two sheets tied with bowlines thru the slot in my cutter rig during light winds. I went out last week in light winds with the single line and was able to tack without the knot hanging up on the baby stay. It looks like I'll have fun removing that constrictor knot at the end of the season.
Old 03-25-2010
Wish I never found SN!

one problem comes to mind. if and it is an if but does happen. If the furling line parts as has hapened to me you need to reload the line on the drum. to do this you need to hand roll the heady onto the furler, remove the genoa sheets and keep rolling until the required number of turns are loaded, re-attach the sheets. All this while working on the fore deck and probably in shite weather. The knot is going to be about 8 foot above deck.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Old 03-25-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Mine are spliced on, with an additional short length splicing them together just aft of the clew. This allows the line to feed smoothly around the forestay. But it prevents removal without a knife. It's also easier to do with three strand.
Old 03-25-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
You cut it, flip it, and use bowlines. I have seen larks heads / cows hitches slip but only on a ring and it was under very heavy load. Most of the boats I have raced o use them, I have used them too. Currently have bowlines because I got a great deal on two cut lengths of 1/2" line.

I like the bowline because it is easy to swap sheets for different head sails without needing to have multiple sheets with your multiple head sails. Pulling out a Larks Head can be tedious and more time consuming than tying two bowlines. Bowlines do add bulk and weight to the clew though and can hang on shrouds where the cows hitch does not tend to do these things...

For racing I prefer a Larks Head / Cows Hitch for cruising a bowline. No knot is right or wrong except for the one that slips regularly or comes undone. On my own boats I have never had either slip or come un-done..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
adjust for wear

Quote:
I use a single sheet with a cow hitch. To even out wear, each year I move the hitch two feet or so to one side and then the other. One sheet will be a little longer than the other but no one seems to notice.

Barry

Old 03-25-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
bullpoop on the clove hitch slipping, unless you tied it backward in the grommet.