Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2010

countrygent5201 is on a distinguished road
Wow, what a great site for getting info about sailboats and sailing! You guys are terrific!

I'm going with the larks head/cow hitch arrangement and if I see chafing I can, as Barry suggested, move the knot right or left a foot or two in either direction. With 40 feet of sheet on each side for my 28.5 Hunter, there's always a puddle of line at my feet even on the slack side, so there's certainly plenty of line to move the knot a foot or two.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
if chafing is a big concern, slip the sheet through some nylon tubular webbing and tie the lark's head in the webbing covered rope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
For racing I prefer a Larks Head / Cows Hitch for cruising a bowline. No knot is right or wrong except for the one that slips regularly or comes undone. On my own boats I have never had either slip or come un-done..
The only downside I see to it in racing is that if you want to do a head sail change you'll need a second sheet. With bowlines you can untie the lazy sheet, tie it to the new sail, tack, and then do that again, then lower the old sail.

If you're on a long leg you might not want to tack, so you can't do that anyhow and need a second sheet.

But a second sheet is just as good. If you do this you might want headsail lead cars that have a block wide enough for two sheets, but its not really a big deal.

Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many racers I know have sheets for each headsail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
The only downside I see to it in racing is that if you want to do a head sail change you'll need a second sheet. With bowlines you can untie the lazy sheet, tie it to the new sail, tack, and then do that again, then lower the old sail.

If you're on a long leg you might not want to tack, so you can't do that anyhow and need a second sheet.

But a second sheet is just as good. If you do this you might want headsail lead cars that have a block wide enough for two sheets, but its not really a big deal.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post

who races with only one set of sheets?
Old 03-25-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
who races with only one set of sheets?
Beats me, I have not taken a survey ;-) I have sheets for each of my two head sails.

Old 03-25-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
chafe

Hey,

Just to clarify, I see no chafe at the cow hitch. My sheets do get a little fuzzy where they ride on the winch, self tailor, etc. By moving the line each year I minimize that. This will be my 4th year with the same sheets and they are still in great condition (7/16" stayset).

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
if chafing is a big concern, slip the sheet through some nylon tubular webbing and tie the lark's head in the webbing covered rope.

Old 03-25-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
We have 2 ˝ sets of jib/genoa sheets. One set for “normal” or windy conditions, one set of “dental floss” and a “changing” sheet, which we use for headsail peals. (No bald headed changes for us!) The changing sheet also gets used when we are on a reaching leg and we want to switch to the toe rail fairlead. Needless to say, bowlines work for us. Because spectra cored line is expensive, we untie and store them below after use. I have an old length of Dacron line that I use to secure the roller furled sail during the week.
Old 03-25-2010

countrygent5201 is on a distinguished road
George, your post caused an explosion to go off in my head (I would have said "bell" but the reaction was a lot bigger than that). This post reveals more ignorance about rigging than I'd like to admit, but here goes:

I have roller furling for my genoa. I removed the sail for UV replacement. A brand new jib came with the boat when I bought it last summer. The jib is in a bag in my garage. When I removed the genoa, I assumed I'd be out of commission for a while without a headsail. After reading George's post, it occurred to me that I might be able to use the jib by simply attaching it to the furling drum and raising it with the top part of the furler system (which, of course, is down at this point) and raising it with the same halyard. Am I making a correct assumption?

Another question: I've never raced, but have wondered how a boat with a furler system could change headsails under racing conditions. How's that done?
Old 03-25-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
A twin groove foil will allow you to raise one sail before taking down the old one.

I've raced on a boat that had a shackle at the base of the furler which we clipped in the tack and just attached the halyard directly to the head of the sail. Worked well. bypassed the furler all together.