Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
wire size from battery to key switch

I noticed last saturday that the wire from the 1/2/all switch to the key switch has the insulation worn off. I electrical taped it so I could do the test I needed but I need to replace it before the boat goes in the water. I could not find a wire size number on it. Besides the cables that go to the battery switch and starter this wire is the thickest wire on the boat. Is there a recommended size?
Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The wire size is largely dependent on the distance the wire needs to run and the total amperage it needs to support. Without more information, it is hard to say. Why not remove it and take it to the store to compare the wire sizes. The lugs may also be stamped with the size of the wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It shouldn't have to be very large gauge as it doesn't carry much amperage. The heavier wires should be from batteries to switch, battery to starter and from alternator to batteries or switch depending how the system is configured. The wire to the key switch is powering only the instrument panel and the power to the start solenoid. If it is fairly close probably 10awg.
Old 03-25-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

A wire dirrectly from the battery switch to the key switch without a fuse or breaker just sounds like a problem in it self

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
True it should be fused or use a breaker as all wires (except possibly the starter itself) should. But it is not a high amperage carrying wire.
Old 03-25-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
If you bring the wire to the boat store they'll have a gage to measure it. If you know the approximate current you can look at the table in the West Marine or Blue Seas on-line catalog as to the gage
Old 03-25-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
It sounds like the smoke was let out of this wire at some point due to seme type of short

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-25-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
mitiempo you are correct in that this powers the following instrument panel, the starter solenoid, the glow plugs(through another switch), and the alternator "trickle". As far as wire length it should be less than 10 feet (the battery switch is in the port locker and the switch is on the staboard side of the cockpit. As far as amperage I have no clue. I guess taking it off and to the store is the safest option. I was hoping to be able to get it on the way down to the boat in stead of having to go to the boat and making a trip back out to the store. Tommays you have a good point.
Old 03-25-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
It would help if you had measured the diameter--here's some approximations for AWG:

.312" = #8
.22" = #10
.16" = #12
.14" = #14

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-25-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Obviously whatever the old wire was, the boat got along with using it. BUT since the insulation has broken down, it is also very likely that wire was not sufficient or safe for that run. It could have broken down from outside heat (wire is rated for engine spaces and chemicals, or not) or internal heat, i.e. being too thin for the load and degrading over time.

If you have an ammeter, even a 10A ammeter in a $20 multimeter, you can test the wire to see what load it really is carrying. Or sum up whatever it is attached to. And also look to see if those circuits are fused on "the other end" so to speak.

If not...personally I would replace it with properly rated tinned wire (for engine spaces) and upsize it by one or two gauges "just in case".