Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2010

Arclight is on a distinguished road
Sikaflex 291 LOT vs. 3M 4000 UV

I need to fill an 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between my topsides and the teak toe rail. I'm considering using Sikaflex 291 LOT or 3M 4000 UV. Coments? TIA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why would you use a sealant to fill a gap? What is the cause of the gap? Do you have photos of the gap? Filling a gap is often better suited to something like a thickened epoxy, rather than a sealant or caulk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Neither. I'd use Sikaflex 295UV or a Polysulfide like 3M 101 if you can still find it, since it has been discontinued. Life Calk is also a polysulfide. UV4000 bonds at about 300 PSI which is way to much IMHO just for gap filling as you will eventually need to reomve it and re-do it..

Dog is correct though in questioning what the gap is from and for as to which material is best suited?

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-25-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
...a Polysulfide like 3M 101 if you can still find it, since it has been discontinued...
Argh, so that's the reason I can't find it easily. I really like my 3M 101. It doesn't turn yellow, and stays pretty darn soft for a good while. So is Life Calk the last of the polysulfides now? (Sorry not trying to hijack the thread)
Old 03-25-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Argh, so that's the reason I can't find it easily. I really like my 3M 101. It doesn't turn yellow, and stays pretty darn soft for a good while. So is Life Calk the last of the polysulfides now? (Sorry not trying to hijack the thread)
Unless you can find a source who sells the Thiokol stuff in small quantities, yes. Sadly the Life Calk has never held up for me or weathered quite the same as 101 did. Not a bad product but still not 101...

Old 03-25-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Life Calk will yellow as well...Im not a happy camper about the 101 deal.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-25-2010
Unpaid Intern

So what's the shelf life in an up-opened container? There's still some 3M 101 left around....

And any alternative's for general deck hardware bedding, where butyl tape isn't appropriate (like where some adhesive is needed)? Man, I'll miss my 101...
Old 03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post

And any alternative's for general deck hardware bedding, where butyl tape isn't appropriate (like where some adhesive is needed)? Man, I'll miss my 101...
Which deck fittings need an adhesive?

Old 03-26-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Which deck fittings need an adhesive?

We have a few items, for instance our chainplate covers and teak handrails (56 holes), that are unfortunately screwed into the deck. Though I would prefer them not be screwed, there is no possibility of making them through-bolted, due to the structure/layout of the boat beneath the deck.

Based on I think your recommendation Maine Sail, I use butyl tape whenever the hardware is through-bolted and doesn't need the additional adhesive properties, and I've been using 3M 101 when that's not the case.

-J
Old 03-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joz—

So what is the deal with the gap???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.