Stuffing Box Reassembly Q... - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
  #1  
Old 03-25-2010
CLucas's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Glen Head, NY
Posts: 418
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Stuffing Box Reassembly Q...

Each year since owning Grey Goose (this is our fourth season with her), there have been a number of items that seem to get postponed on my commissioning list -- repacking the stuffing box being one of them. Being over 6' tall makes gaining access a daunting feat, but I was determined to get 'er done this year and magically made myself reeeally small and tackle the job. Some PB Blaster, patience and a couple taps with a hammer allowed me to loosen the packing nut and lock nut. I successfully picked out the old flax packing using a drywall screw which I screwed in at an angle and then pulled out using vicegrips. I'm replacing with some Gore GFO packing, but have a question regarding reassembly...

Looking ahead, in an effort to avoid the difficulty I ran into loosening the locknut, I want to prepare the threads properly. I'll clean up the threads nicely, but what about using Lanocote or an anti-seize product to keep things happy?

BTW, this job was about 20X easier than I thought it would be, thanks in part to Mainesail's *excellent* guide: Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
__________________
s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

Last edited by CLucas; 03-25-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 03-25-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake bay
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
scottyt is on a distinguished road
you might need to be careful what you use for galvanic reasons. i would think lanacoat would be fine, i think...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 03-25-2010
CLucas's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Glen Head, NY
Posts: 418
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
you might need to be careful what you use for galvanic reasons. i would think lanacoat would be fine, i think...
I believe Lanocote would help prevent any galvanic corrosion issues and it *seems* right for this purpose. I'm just looking for confirmation or other recommendations from the resident experts here.

Other thoughts?
__________________
s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 03-25-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake bay
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
scottyt is on a distinguished road
i agree the lanacoat will help stop it, but what i was referring too was anti seize normally has aluminum or tin powder in it and it might cause a galvanic problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 03-25-2010
CLucas's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Glen Head, NY
Posts: 418
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i agree the lanacoat will help stop it, but what i was referring too was anti seize normally has aluminum or tin powder in it and it might cause a galvanic problem.
Didn't know that! (...which is exactly why I raised the question) Thanks for your insight.

Chris
__________________
s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 03-26-2010
roline's Avatar
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 272
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 15
roline is on a distinguished road
McLube Sailcote is a hi performance dry lubricant that will help protect the threads and lower friction.
__________________
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 03-26-2010
CLucas's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Glen Head, NY
Posts: 418
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
McLube Sailcote is a hi performance dry lubricant that will help protect the threads and lower friction.
Thanks. McLube Sailcote is a great product and is terrific in sail tracks, headsail foils and a lot of other places, but I'm not certain this is right application. I'm looking to prevent the stuffing nut and locknut from seizing -- apart from minor adjustments, I shouldn't have to touch the stuffing box for a few years. Sailcote would definitely lower friction, but a dry lubricant isn't going to do the job I need it to do over the long haul and won't survive in that environment.

For now, I think I'm going to go with Lanocote.
__________________
s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 03-26-2010
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,286
Thanks: 10
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
Thanks. McLube Sailcote is a great product and is terrific in sail tracks, headsail foils and a lot of other places, but I'm not certain this is right application. I'm looking to prevent the stuffing nut and locknut from seizing -- apart from minor adjustments, I shouldn't have to touch the stuffing box for a few years. Sailcote would definitely lower friction, but a dry lubricant isn't going to do the job I need it to do over the long haul and won't survive in that environment.

For now, I think I'm going to go with Lanocote.
Personally I would clean them with a brass brush, put them together, and only after final adjustment when the nuts have been locked against each other would I coat the whole kit & caboodle with Lanocote using an acid brush.

Coat it after not before. There are some things I do lube but stuffing box threads are not one of them..

Having seen the results of a stuffing box nut that spun off the shaft when put into reverse I prefer to not lube the big nut or the little nut or the threads before tightening. I have also never seen a stuffing box I could not break the nuts free on no matter how green with verdigris.

Coating it after its tight will still minimize corrosion/verdigris..
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 03-26-2010
CLucas's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Glen Head, NY
Posts: 418
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Personally I would clean them with a brass brush, put them together, and only after final adjustment when the nuts have been locked against each other would I coat the whole kit & caboodle with Lanocote using an acid brush.

Coat it after not before.
Great thoughts, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Having seen the results of a stuffing box nut that spun off the shaft when put into reverse I prefer to not lube the big nut or the little nut or the threads before tightening.
Yeah, that would kind of spoil the fun.
__________________
s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stuffing box blues capedory33 Gear & Maintenance 8 12-15-2004 10:20 AM
Work on the stuffing box while the boat is in the water pjfsail Gear & Maintenance 3 12-10-2003 05:25 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.