Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Stuffing Box Reassembly Q...

Each year since owning Grey Goose (this is our fourth season with her), there have been a number of items that seem to get postponed on my commissioning list -- repacking the stuffing box being one of them. Being over 6' tall makes gaining access a daunting feat, but I was determined to get 'er done this year and magically made myself reeeally small and tackle the job. Some PB Blaster, patience and a couple taps with a hammer allowed me to loosen the packing nut and lock nut. I successfully picked out the old flax packing using a drywall screw which I screwed in at an angle and then pulled out using vicegrips. I'm replacing with some Gore GFO packing, but have a question regarding reassembly...

Looking ahead, in an effort to avoid the difficulty I ran into loosening the locknut, I want to prepare the threads properly. I'll clean up the threads nicely, but what about using Lanocote or an anti-seize product to keep things happy?

BTW, this job was about 20X easier than I thought it would be, thanks in part to Mainesail's *excellent* guide: Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

Last edited by CLucas; 03-25-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
you might need to be careful what you use for galvanic reasons. i would think lanacoat would be fine, i think...
Old 03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
you might need to be careful what you use for galvanic reasons. i would think lanacoat would be fine, i think...
I believe Lanocote would help prevent any galvanic corrosion issues and it *seems* right for this purpose. I'm just looking for confirmation or other recommendations from the resident experts here.

Other thoughts?
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-25-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i agree the lanacoat will help stop it, but what i was referring too was anti seize normally has aluminum or tin powder in it and it might cause a galvanic problem.
Old 03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i agree the lanacoat will help stop it, but what i was referring too was anti seize normally has aluminum or tin powder in it and it might cause a galvanic problem.
Didn't know that! (...which is exactly why I raised the question) Thanks for your insight.

Chris
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-26-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
McLube Sailcote is a hi performance dry lubricant that will help protect the threads and lower friction.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
McLube Sailcote is a hi performance dry lubricant that will help protect the threads and lower friction.
Thanks. McLube Sailcote is a great product and is terrific in sail tracks, headsail foils and a lot of other places, but I'm not certain this is right application. I'm looking to prevent the stuffing nut and locknut from seizing -- apart from minor adjustments, I shouldn't have to touch the stuffing box for a few years. Sailcote would definitely lower friction, but a dry lubricant isn't going to do the job I need it to do over the long haul and won't survive in that environment.

For now, I think I'm going to go with Lanocote.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-26-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
Thanks. McLube Sailcote is a great product and is terrific in sail tracks, headsail foils and a lot of other places, but I'm not certain this is right application. I'm looking to prevent the stuffing nut and locknut from seizing -- apart from minor adjustments, I shouldn't have to touch the stuffing box for a few years. Sailcote would definitely lower friction, but a dry lubricant isn't going to do the job I need it to do over the long haul and won't survive in that environment.

For now, I think I'm going to go with Lanocote.
Personally I would clean them with a brass brush, put them together, and only after final adjustment when the nuts have been locked against each other would I coat the whole kit & caboodle with Lanocote using an acid brush.

Coat it after not before. There are some things I do lube but stuffing box threads are not one of them..

Having seen the results of a stuffing box nut that spun off the shaft when put into reverse I prefer to not lube the big nut or the little nut or the threads before tightening. I have also never seen a stuffing box I could not break the nuts free on no matter how green with verdigris.

Coating it after its tight will still minimize corrosion/verdigris..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Personally I would clean them with a brass brush, put them together, and only after final adjustment when the nuts have been locked against each other would I coat the whole kit & caboodle with Lanocote using an acid brush.

Coat it after not before.
Great thoughts, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Having seen the results of a stuffing box nut that spun off the shaft when put into reverse I prefer to not lube the big nut or the little nut or the threads before tightening.
Yeah, that would kind of spoil the fun.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~