Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-26-2010

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Talking Plywood Anchor?

Not that kind!

The beginnings of the cabinet that'll hold my VHF and Stereo. I like this epoxy work. This wasn't easy for my first attempt at this type thing, but not bad. A bit more plywood, epoxy...some sanding, and paint and it'll match the ceiling, will be enclosed and right next to the companion-way. I've already hung most of my own weight on it...won't have any trouble holding up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 03-26-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2010

Two more pieces and it's starting to make sense, but that's it until I glass these sides in.

Old 03-27-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
You could have

You also could have used Weld Mount studs.. Total time about 4-6 minuets waiting for it to cure..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-27-2010
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Wow on the those!

Maine, you always come up w some great suggestions! I'm going to look for those.
Old 03-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You also could have used Weld Mount studs.. Total time about 4-6 minuets waiting for it to cure..
You're missing my whole point. The way I'm doing it, it'll blend in and look like part of the original building. The wood will be encased in epoxy and painted.

Old 03-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware the WeldMount stuff is great, but a bit pricey... One of the companies I work with uses it for their fabrication, so I get it from them at a decent price...but it is still pricey.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Irwin32 View Post
You're missing my whole point. The way I'm doing it, it'll blend in and look like part of the original building. The wood will be encased in epoxy and painted.
I understand that. You still could have made it look original, but also removable, done it many times as most builders do.

The only difference is that the cleat could have been held in-place by four studs then the seam between headliner and furniture could have been finished in any number of ways while still allowing the piece to be removed for access at a future date. I just don't personally like to attach something to the overhead of the cabin in case deck access is needed in the future. If that port light needs to be replaced, and you can't find the exact match because the folks who made it are long gone, and the new one uses an internal flange you'll be having a tougher time modifying that piece in-place than if you could remove it and modify it..

Matching the factory gelcoat, and blending it, will be more difficult than using a caulked seam, piping or a small piece of painted trim to hide the transition..

Just different thought processes that's all..

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-27-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Maine you do have a point, those weldmount studs are a great tool. But if there is no reason to ever remove it, why make it removable? Especially when making it removable is going to add to the cost?

Also, on a curved surface as shown, you would still need to glass in blocks to align the weldmount studs, or make the holes oversized so alignment wasn't critical.

Only thing I'd have done differently than 71irwin would be to bring the sides down a bit farther, then extend the bottom and face a bit to cover the instruments and add a place for cd storage on that side, and maybe a whatever shelf on the bottom

Ken.
Old 03-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post

Only thing I'd have done differently than 71irwin would be to bring the sides down a bit farther, then extend the bottom and face a bit to cover the instruments and add a place for cd storage on that side, and maybe a whatever shelf on the bottom

Ken.
Um-didn't want to take up any more room 'round the common-way...and no cds, I picked a stereo that uses sd flash cards for mp3s. It will be interesting to see how well the sd cards hold up.

Old 03-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Irwin32 View Post
It will be interesting to see how well the sd cards hold up.

Considering I have had a few of my SD cards go through the washer and drier in a pocket, and still worked, and are still working just fine, I'd vote that you should have no problem in a stereo..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.