SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mainsail slide systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/633-mainsail-slide-systems.html)

psotis 01-26-2001 06:58 AM

Mainsail slide systems

All,

I''m finalizing the options on a new main for a Beneteau 45f5. The loft is recommending the Strong track/slide system.

Practical sailor didn''t seem to enthusiastic about this system when they reviewed it a couple of years ago. They pointed out that it was the heaviest of the systems evaluated (Antal, Harken, Battslide), and might be susceotible to UV degradation, as it uses a plastic track.

Also, they described the friction in the system as similar to the Battslide system (both are metal on plastic systems). The Battslide is much lighter, as well as much cheaper.

Anybody have experience with these systems or any thoughts?

Thanks,
Phil Otis

yachtkeljen 01-27-2001 09:38 AM

Mainsail slide systems

Hi . I have a Harken Bat cat system on my boat (a 40 ft 12 ton steel boat)and am very happy with the system , except for the price of end caps (replaced by allumiumin units)and the high cost of replacement balls (they do not last long) In fact I have replaced the balls with Telron 5mm rod they replace the balls and last much longer and are also a lot cheaper . What ever system you decied on remember to add a few more batttens to the recomended quoted system (refer Dashew the more full battens you have the less strain on the sail panels ). I think he recommends 700 to 800 mm between battens with an intermediate slide between battens. My original spacing was 1.2m and was to large I have also adde two intermediate slides to the top two battens because the head of the sail takes more abuse than the rest of the sail Good luck . I like my system

psotis 01-27-2001 10:22 AM

Mainsail slide systems

Thanks for the info!

Phil

A.Kehrt 02-19-2001 04:56 PM

Mainsail slide systems

I have a Passport 37 and I am considering installing a Harkin Battcar system on my mainsail. It''s the original sail with plastic slides and is extremely difficult to get up and down. Right now, I intend to install the system on my existing sail, which is not a fully battened sail. Would anyone like to comment on the Harkin system in general, and also on using it on a sail that is not fully battened? Any pertinent comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

RichH 02-19-2001 05:51 PM

Mainsail slide systems

Simple candle wax rubbed into the track and onto the sail slides will allow the mainsail go up and down with minimal friction. Then carve a piece of the paraffin to loosely fit inside the track, put it between the uppermost sail and next uppermost slides and the wax ''carving'' will keep on applying wax as you raise and lower the sail. Works on the Harken cars too.

thoran 09-03-2006 09:47 AM

Battcar systems

This is an older thread, so I am wondering if anyone has any more information or preferences. I have looked at Harken and Schaefer...are there any obvious advantages to one vs the other? I am ordering a Tartan and they are partial to Harken; but wanted to see what the experts out there thought!

DICKWATERS 09-03-2006 10:45 AM

Installed a Strong track/slide system three years ago and have been cruising full time in the Caribbean since then. It was easy to install and my heavy, full battened main can be raised by hand. I just have to tension with the winch.

I'm a 70+ yo singlehanding a Passport 40 with a 56 ft mast.

Removed and inspected the plastic track six months ago and did not see any UV degradation.

drynoc 09-05-2006 03:13 PM

Main Sail Slides

I use Kiwi slides. They come from http://www.anzam.com/rr_index_003.htm. They are easy to install, very low tech, very durable (at least in my low test sailing area - the Potomac River) and very inexpensive compared to all those systems. I am able to hoist my 250 sq ft main without a winch without any trouble. The only shortcoming thus far has been my amateurish sewing, which I have had to repair once in the last year.

knothead 09-05-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DICKWATERS
Installed a Strong track/slide system three years ago and have been cruising full time in the Caribbean since then. It was easy to install and my heavy, full battened main can be raised by hand. I just have to tension with the winch.

I'm a 70+ yo singlehanding a Passport 40 with a 56 ft mast.

Removed and inspected the plastic track six months ago and did not see any UV degradation.

Have sold and installed many of these systems and without exception the customers report they are well pleased with the cost and performance.

thoran 09-10-2006 10:33 AM

slide systems vs electric winch for main halyard

which is best? is it ever smart to have both? am I off the wall for a Tartan 3400?
Thanks