Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-27-2010

navstar1 is on a distinguished road
Port Supply-The new reality

I have been a Port supply card holder for many years now and have noticed that the discounts offered on item I purchase have been slashed relative to what I got just a year or two ago. I am now getting just about the same discount as the West Advantage program offers. I am very disappointed in West Marine for doing this as they used to get almost all my business. They now use a slick system with bronze, silver and gold levels with the bronze being just a "curtesy" discount. They reason that after a customer realizes that he has lost his discount he will call and be told that he is not spending enough to waste West Marines time. I now shop at two distributors that routinely beat Port Supply card prices. Good By Port Supply!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
There are lots of people out there with a port supply card. Many don't deserve it at all. I don't know you, or your indivual use of the card. I find it strange your first post is to complain. You may, or may not have a legitiment complaint, but because of the abuse on port supply you may have been put between a rock, and a hard place........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
I dont think West Marine is sweating it too much if you leave. Frankly, for these kind of discounts to work effectively, a supplier needs you to maintain certain amount of volume and certain amount of product mix. If you dont fulfill those tenets...well, frankly a supplier will "fire" you as a customer.

They're basically telling you spend more and spend on high margin items...or take your business elsewhere. You cant lose money on a customer and expect to stay in business very long.

Welcome to retailing...even if its a wholesale card
Old 03-27-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I find it strange your first post is to complain.
I2f, they have been a member since 2006, it might be a lurker who never had anything to say until port supply irritated them enough to post.

Please support my
Old 03-27-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Just received a PS order and the discount (compared with retail) looks like this:
item 1 $9.50 from $23 = 60+% discount
item 2 $6 from $14 = 40% discount
item 3 $24 from $31 = 20% discount
item 4 $23 from $28 = 15% discount
item 5 $19 from $25 = 30% discount

From that, one may conclude that you bought stuff with a small markup. Clearly, the discount is a function of what you buy and their wholesale price for it. Generalities (about their discounts) don't work yet again...

Regardless, I can't find another source from whom I can get a better deal.
Old 03-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your math is off... 6/14 ≠ 60%... 6/14=.43 or a 57% discount...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Just received a PS order and the discount (compared with retail) looks like this:
item 1 $9.50 from $23 = 60+% discount
item 2 $6 from $14 = 40% discount
item 3 $24 from $31 = 20% discount
item 4 $23 from $28 = 15% discount
item 5 $19 from $25 = 30% discount

From that, one may conclude that you bought stuff with a small markup. Clearly, the discount is a function of what you buy and their wholesale price for it. Generalities (about their discounts) don't work yet again...

Regardless, I can't find another source from whom I can get a better deal.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
your port supply prices are lower than defender or Hamilton?
Old 03-28-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
your port supply prices are lower than defender or Hamilton?
I have rarely, perhaps on one or two items, seen Port Supply beat Defender Commercial or Hamilton Commercial. That being said you need to spend $1500.00 per year to maintain a PS account which is tough for me because Hamilton is right around the corner and has a better price 95+ percent of the time and Defender is next day to me at ground shipping rates. I did spend over 3k with them last year but only as a "last resort"...

According to my PS rep, who is always trying to get more of my business, the price matrix I am on is quite good for PS.

Yesterday's purchase: Category - Fuel Filtration

Defender Commercial = $269.00
Hamilton Commercial = $271.00
Port Supply = $323.00

Over $50.00 difference on a "wholesale account" with West's buying power? If they want more of my Defender or Hamilton business they need to get a LOT closer than they do..

P.S. I called a buddy of mine at a marina who buys over 50k per year with PS, mostly lake boat stuff. His price, on the same item, was identical to mine.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-28-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
I found a website store that has rediculously low prices on many boating items. Dogbytecomputers.com. Have used them twice with no problems. Just a customer with no affiliation!
Old 04-01-2010

14432 is on a distinguished road
The best items to buy via Port Supply are "staples" - like cleaners, lubricants, epoxy, etc. (anything in a can or bottle). Better yet are the West Marine brand items. There are very small discounts on boat gear, parts, etc. But as mentioned earlier - it all depends on your level of spending. They definitely beat others, including Defender, on "staples" - especially if you are a walk-in customer.