Freeing pulley sheaves - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2010 Thread Starter
Freeing pulley sheaves

The older aluminum and stainless fiddle blocks for my backstay tensioners are siezed--the plain nylon sheaves turn with difficulty if at all.
The rest of the blocks on the 30-year-old boat (recent purchase) are Shaeffers and seem in good shape. The ones in question are marked "Slater". (Never heard of them--have you?)
I've tried Kroil, PB Blaster, working them by hand and soaking in vinegar--no joy.
I am considering drilling out the rivets, cleaning up as necessary and replacing the rivets with stainless machine screws & red locktite. Any feedback on that idea?
Any other suggestions? They look good otherwise and would much rather spend my refitting money elsewhere if I could get them freed up again.
Thanks for any help.
John V.
Alajuela 33
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2010
Your idea sounds reasonable to me... after all what do you have to lose. Best case, your idea works and you sail happily for several more years with your old backstay tensioner. Worst case, you mess up the job or the sheaves still don't run free after the repair and you need to get a new one which is where you are now. I'd spend a couple of dollars and an hour or two to try out your plan. Get partially threaded machine screws if you can giving the sheaves a better surface to roll on. Inspect the screws and nuts regularly to ensure they don't back off. Loctite is pretty good.
Good luck... let us know how it turns out.

Dave S
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Catalina 34 - "Good Idea"

Last edited by CS271409; 03-28-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correct typos
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.