Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-08-2010
Vets

dennisvetter is on a distinguished road
I'm stripping my sole down as we "speak" and have a related question. I have some staining (from past leaks and scratches) in the wood. I'm planning to bleach the sole to remove the stains. I'm concerned that the Ultimate Sole product is going to come out quite light in color as I've seen what it looked like when a friend did his. I rather like more of a warm wood color and was wondering if I can stain the wood with the Ultimate Sole. If so, at what point in the process would I do that? (I.E. before or after the sanding sealer).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2010
Camper Nicholson 44

imsaint007 is on a distinguished road
Hello, I just finished my teak & holy floor and I had the same staining from past leaks and scratches in the wood ,remember that's venir playwood (teak ) so I need to be very careful when sanding or striping so I decided go with the heat gun , remove all the old varnish and leave alone all the scratches and stains , but I gave a darker coat of wood stain and two coats of interlux gold spar varnish cameout great ,the scratches gave caracter to the 33 year boat and everybody loves the floor the way it looks , is a matter of preference .
Old 04-08-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I just did a new Google Search, and found this:

Integrated Marine Systems - Ultimate Sole

I'm disappointed myself, as I had hoped to refinish our cabin sole next year with Ultimate Sole. I suppose we'll have to come up with an alternative now.

-J
Old 04-09-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
I just did a new Google Search, and found this:

Integrated Marine Systems - Ultimate Sole

I'm disappointed myself, as I had hoped to refinish our cabin sole next year with Ultimate Sole. I suppose we'll have to come up with an alternative now.

-J
Yeah, It totally sux that the one product I can think of that EVERY Sailnetter that used agreed was the best is no longer available.

I can understand someone deciding to get out of the business but why not sell it to someone that could keep the product in the marketplace?

The sole of our current boat is a ways from needing a refinsh, but I looked for Ultimate Sole at the boat show last year so I'd have some on hand when the time came. I'm hoping now that the product gets reintroduced or someone else steps up to the plate before my sole is truly worn out.
Old 04-09-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I have no idea if the "account of events" given is accurate. But the fact that Ultimate Sole is still not available is nonetheless disappointing.
Old 04-10-2010
Vets

Does anyone know what is compatible with Ultimate Sole? More specifically, if you've already applied and need to refinish down the road what product(s) can you use over it?

I have *maybe* enough product to do my small sailboat with ... but I'm afraid I might get about 3/4 done and need some more. I'd like to use it but ...

Thanks
Dennis
Old 04-10-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I'm searching this out too.

I was thinking about doing a test strip on the shower board in the head which I did with ultimate sole as well. Maybe a polyurethene..?
Old 04-10-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I've heard of 2 alternates for ultimate sole

Gymseal® Floor Finish

waterlox, tung oil, tung oil finish, waterlox tung oil, floor finishing, floor refinishing, tongue oil varnish, polyurethane, floor finish, wood floor finishing, wood floor refinishing, wood floor varnish, wood sealer, wood floor, hardwood floor, VOC

Both are said to do well under wet feet

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-11-2010
Vets

I spoke with one of Ultimate Sole's distributors in Canada yesterday and asked him if they carried it. He kind of chuckled and sighed and said that they were restructuring the company and that it WOULD be available again sometime (no specific idea when) in the future. Why they're not getting the word out is beyond me ... I sent them an email and it did NOT bounce so it's sitting in someone's inbox.

I also asked him what was compatible OVER Ultimate Sole (I probably have enough to do mine) if it isn't available in the future and he said "any varnish".
Old 04-26-2010

c.j.s is on a distinguished road
I bought a quart last year in hopes of a refinishing job I'm just getting around to now. Good to know that I'll be able to put something else over it in the future - or perhaps it will return to the market.

I've decided to strip the sole first. Ultimate sole recommends using their ultimate sealer on a stripped sole (which I was in the process of looking for when I discovered their demise). Any suggestions on a replacement sealer to use first? Do I really need to re-seal after stripping?