Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2003

lily is on a distinguished road
in water hull cleaning?

??? Does anyone know if you are alowed to scrap the hull of your boat in closed waters. I had someone go off @ me 2days ago for cleaning my boat. He said I need to do that in a slipway! But there are many guy''s out there that will clean your hull in water.
What sould I do? and which will give a better result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
in water hull cleaning?

Ahoy, lily, There is no law to my knowledge that regular bottom scraping and maintenance can not be done in the water . When you return marine plant and crustaceous life back to the sea whats the Harm?The bottom paint was approved when it was put on so it can''t hurt the environment any more than it normally would.Besides the amount of pollution from all the sailboats in the world dosen''t add up to one billionth of one percent of the p[roblems of water and environmental hazards. Relax , grow a pair and tell the guy next time to ... well you know. The Pirate of Pine Island
Old 02-23-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
in water hull cleaning?

Another pirate to be heard from.

Tell the bloody buggers to buy a life. They probably had a hard time with their stock brokers or something and decided to take it out on you. My responce would have been to tell them to come out there and say it, then turn about and show ''em how the moon''s a settin!

Some people think that just a cause they got a crack in their butt, they must be the damn liberty bell or something! You just go ahead and keep your bottom clean and your speed up the best way you can.

They keep up this crap and Big Red and I''ll just have to come up and pay the bloke a visit!

Pi
Old 02-25-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
in water hull cleaning?

its actually illegal to scrape your hull in some harbors.

Old 02-25-2003
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
in water hull cleaning?

In-water hull cleaning is allowed in all states. The exception is Washington, where ablative or sloughing paints may not be cleaned. That being said, there are also individual marinas that will not allow in-water hull cleaning. So unless your boat lives in such a marina, go ahead and clean your hull. However, actually "scraping" your hull is frowned upon, not only by many federal and state agencies, but by reputable professional hull cleaners as well. If your hull is so badly fouled that you do need to use a blade to clean it, please haul and paint. There is increasing pressure nationwide to reduce nonpoint source pollution (of which in-water hull cleaning is a cause) and scraping boat hulls only adds fuel to the fire of those who say you shouldn''t be able to perform in-water hull cleaning at all.
Old 03-05-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
in water hull cleaning?

Ahoy, Hamiam,Fstbttms, etc, Ye be testing me patience and iffin ye thinks dis here old Pirate is of de mind to put up wit yer silly,high minded foolishness ye''d be wrong. I said ye can and should scrape your bottom in the water and let some idiot try an stop you. What are they gonna do stomp they''s feet and call a Cop? Wot in tarnations is wrong wit youse liver lillied whimps? I hope ye ain''t breeding dis here world already got enough GIRLS in it. Pump yer heads in the marina, grind paint and glass , Throw yer old parts over de side if ye have a mind too. Who''s gonna stop Ye? Manatees wot''s to stupid to get outta my full keels way, deserve a good whack on de heads . Dem silly purposiess ought to be mindfull I don''y use dem for Tuna bait!! Lobster out of Season? What ye think de stupid(but tasty) critters know de difference? I aint never had de Lobster civil liberties Union give me no trouble. You boys need to wheen yourselves from yer Momma''s . Pirate of Pine Island
Old 03-05-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
in water hull cleaning?

God! I love it when he talks like that!

Pi
Old 03-06-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
in water hull cleaning?

Yea, it kinda warms the bottom of your heart, doesn''t it?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.