SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

in water hull cleaning?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kokopelli9 
#1 ·
??? Does anyone know if you are alowed to scrap the hull of your boat in closed waters. I had someone go off @ me 2days ago for cleaning my boat. He said I need to do that in a slipway! But there are many guy''s out there that will clean your hull in water.
What sould I do? and which will give a better result.

#2 ·
Ahoy, lily, There is no law to my knowledge that regular bottom scraping and maintenance can not be done in the water . When you return marine plant and crustaceous life back to the sea whats the Harm?The bottom paint was approved when it was put on so it can''t hurt the environment any more than it normally would.Besides the amount of pollution from all the sailboats in the world dosen''t add up to one billionth of one percent of the p[roblems of water and environmental hazards. Relax , grow a pair and tell the guy next time to ... well you know. The Pirate of Pine Island

#3 ·
Another pirate to be heard from.

Tell the bloody buggers to buy a life. They probably had a hard time with their stock brokers or something and decided to take it out on you. My responce would have been to tell them to come out there and say it, then turn about and show ''em how the moon''s a settin!

Some people think that just a cause they got a crack in their butt, they must be the damn liberty bell or something! You just go ahead and keep your bottom clean and your speed up the best way you can.

They keep up this crap and Big Red and I''ll just have to come up and pay the bloke a visit!

Pi

#5 ·
In-water hull cleaning is allowed in all states. The exception is Washington, where ablative or sloughing paints may not be cleaned. That being said, there are also individual marinas that will not allow in-water hull cleaning. So unless your boat lives in such a marina, go ahead and clean your hull. However, actually "scraping" your hull is frowned upon, not only by many federal and state agencies, but by reputable professional hull cleaners as well. If your hull is so badly fouled that you do need to use a blade to clean it, please haul and paint. There is increasing pressure nationwide to reduce nonpoint source pollution (of which in-water hull cleaning is a cause) and scraping boat hulls only adds fuel to the fire of those who say you shouldn''t be able to perform in-water hull cleaning at all.

#6 ·
Ahoy, Hamiam,Fstbttms, etc, Ye be testing me patience and iffin ye thinks dis here old Pirate is of de mind to put up wit yer silly,high minded foolishness ye''d be wrong. I said ye can and should scrape your bottom in the water and let some idiot try an stop you. What are they gonna do stomp they''s feet and call a Cop? Wot in tarnations is wrong wit youse liver lillied whimps? I hope ye ain''t breeding dis here world already got enough GIRLS in it. Pump yer heads in the marina, grind paint and glass , Throw yer old parts over de side if ye have a mind too. Who''s gonna stop Ye? Manatees wot''s to stupid to get outta my full keels way, deserve a good whack on de heads . Dem silly purposiess ought to be mindfull I don''y use dem for Tuna bait!! Lobster out of Season? What ye think de stupid(but tasty) critters know de difference? I aint never had de Lobster civil liberties Union give me no trouble. You boys need to wheen yourselves from yer Momma''s . Pirate of Pine Island

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.