Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2010

saildog1 is on a distinguished road
Windlass wiring

Doing the final hook ups on a Lewmar Pro 1000 on my Tartan. I was wondering how to hook up the cables to the battery. I have 3, 12 volt batteries for my house bank so do I hook up the ground to say battery 1 and the positive to battery 3 or does it matter as long as the ground is on the ground of a battery and to positive is on one of the three positive terminals?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ideally, you'd want to hook up the ground to the last of the three paralleled batteries and the positive to the first...so that all three are loaded as equally as possible by the windlass.

However, I do have to ask, why are you wiring the windlass directly to the batteries? It should be going through a switch and circuit breaker or fuse.

Also, how far is the run from the battery bank to the windlass and what size wire did you use? Undersizing the wiring to a windlass is a very common error and greatly shortens the life of the windlass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2010

I forget what size I ordered from Genuinedealz but they were huge and I have about a 3 amp drop based on the chart on the web site. The cable size is larger than 1/2 inch close or equal to 3/4 and pretty expensive. They do go through the breaker supplied by Lewmar but they also have to go to the batteries. I'll attach them as you recommend, Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010

2/0 that was the size
Old 03-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you meant a 3% drop, not a 3 amp drop.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Ideally you will have all the battery grounds going to a busbar and then to the engine ground point. Multiple grounds can cause problems. The windlass has a breaker but should also have a dedicated switch near the batteries. Even with a breaker if it shorts out and turns itself on damage can occur before the breaker goes.
Old 03-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Ideally you will have all the battery grounds going to a busbar and then to the engine ground point. Multiple grounds can cause problems. The windlass has a breaker but should also have a dedicated switch near the batteries. Even with a breaker if it shorts out and turns itself on damage can occur before the breaker goes.
The windlass has to be the largest amp draw with the probable exclusion of the starting batteries, and perhaps not since the starter is only "on" for short periods, while raising an anchor can take a few minutes. ANd the starter is not usually on the house bank.

If connecting to a bus bar (which sounds like a good idea IMHO), the cable from the bus bar to the negative terminal has to be thick. Otherwise it will raise the voltage of ground.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-01-2010

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Saildog1: I will be going thru exactly the same process on my Pearson 365 in a few weeks. Lewmar Pro Series 1000 wired to the house bank (via the supplied circuit breaker, rocker switch and contactor box. I'll be ordering the wire, also, from Genuinedealz based on the recommended sizing-for-length-of-run chart in the windlass' manual. Any pitfalls I ought to be aware of before I start?

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 04-01-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
dave
This is a good calc to use for wire size. AWG by wire length/amps calculator
Best to size for 3% or less drop for long windlass life and more efficiency. Manuals suggest 10% is ok but 3% is a lot better.
Old 04-01-2010

I found genuinedealz was the cheapest and it is all tinned wire. I bought everything from them to wire it up and made my own cables also. I borrowed a rather large crimping tool from our diesel mechanic where I work. Running the cable is the toughest part of the job. I have a Tartan 3800 and was able to follow the air conditioner lines to the bow. There is a chart on the genuinedealz site to determine the size of cable to use. I raun a string from the batteries to where I mounted the contactor in the V berth and then from the contactor to the anchor locker. I also mounted a 1/4 inch backer plate under the windlass for serious support.

I'm lucky to have mechanics where I work to let me use their crimpers and have them make ke up backer plates. They do great work.
I also bought the wireless remote for the windlass. I splash next week and will give it all a try. I bought the windlass at Defender.