Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
In water spring commissioning

Ok, here's a dumb question. This is the first time we've left our boat in the water over the winter and I'm now somewhat at a loss as to the order of tasks to get the boat ready. At minimum, I plan to do a quick haul and wash of the bottom which will allow replacing the running gear zincs and a repacking of the stuffing box.

My delimma is I'd like to at least get the hull waxed and I had really hoped to do a polish and wax. What do you guys that stay in the water year round normally do? Just do a wax job from the deck/dock/dingy?

I'll definitely pull the boat next winter, so it proably makes sense to skip the expense of a haul and block this year, but waxing the hull in the slip seems like a difficult proposition.

Besides the stuffing box and zincs what else should I address while the boats in the slings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
In this neck of the woods its common to have a haul/wash/fix deal AFTER the spring rush for the wet stored boats as there is no way unless you were sinking they will give you sling time right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I have waxed from the dock, from a dingy and from a ladder in the boat yard. All work fine for me. I generally use a power buffer. This is a project that seems to take me several days to accomplish, but that depend on the size of the boat. The last boat yard I was in it was very difficult to do it, so I just did the aft quarter in the yard and finished off at the dock. It is tricky to use a power buffer from a dinghy, and somewhat dangerous so I just do it without power. But if you are on the hook somewhere enjoying your boat you need something to do anyway. Takes more rubbing and doesn't seem to do as good a job but it works and is kind of enjoyable.

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 03-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
In this neck of the woods its common to have a haul/wash/fix deal AFTER the spring rush for the wet stored boats as there is no way unless you were sinking they will give you sling time right now
Well for the next two weeks thats true, but after that they told me they could haul and block or a quick haul, whichever I preferred.

I'm leaning towards, just doing the best cleaning and waxing I can manage in the slip and use the next two weekends to de-winterize and put everything back aboard so I can move the delivery to our new slip up a couple of weeks.

The boat will be a lot closer to home when its hauled at the end of the season so, I can take my time on a proper buff and wax next year.
Old 03-30-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
around me a lot of yards to specials at great prices for 1 week blocks and hauls. its normally close to just a short haul and wash. one i know does it for 6.50 a foot, thats a haul, power wash, block and a splash a week later all in one price
Old 04-01-2010

Yeah, If I get hauled and blocked I get 2 weeks before storage kicks in at the yard I'd use. I'm up against a deadline to move the boat to our new marina though and Don't know if I have the time to spend on the polish and wax.
Old 04-01-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Confused. The Boat Yard will let you work on a boat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post

Besides the stuffing box and zincs what else should I address while the boats in the slings?
While it is IN the slings? Seems very, very dangerous to me. Sling breaks or slips, boat slips and falls, you could be seriously hurt or die. Can't the block it for a few hours so that you can safely work on it? Half hour or so for SB and same for zincs. They could block it, go to lunch, and then resplash it. If you need time to wash and wax it, have them haul/block it before they leave. Then wash and wax it until dark and finish early AM next morn. When they return, you're ready to splash.

DrB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.