SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Painting Time again - My Bottom

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Fstbttms 
#1 ·
Time to paint the bottom again. My boat is in New England waters and my paint of choice for the past 3 years has been Micron 66. The PO used Micron 33, which 66 replaced. The stuff is $$$$ and I am thinking of trying a different, less expensive brand. Micron 66 is supposed to be a multi-season paint, but I sail my boat from May 1 to mid Nov. I sail every weekend and probably due a minimum of 35 nm a weekend, and probably 1000 to 1200 nm a year. By the end of the sailing season, the leading edge of the keel, bow, and rudder are pretty much polished off even though I double coat them.

Since I sail a lot and not getting "multi" season out of the paint, I'd like to go to a less expensive ablative paint.

Does anyone have any ablative paint recommendations for New England water; specifically northern MA, that will last for a good number of miles, less expensive that $210/gal, and not leave me fully of barnacles and slime at the end of the season?

I am looking for direct real world experience. I have the PS review at home, but those tests are often "stagnant" dunk tests and not dynamic use.

Thanks.

DrB

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The yard guys at one of the Brewer marinas at which we dock our boat all provide the same advice - buy the cheapest ablative you can find and it will last the summer season. It's short, we all haul anyway and particularly if you use the boat, any ablative seems to work.
The only people who need to obsess about bottom paint are racers.
As far as "direct, real world experience", one need only check out our boat bottoms when they get hauled to see there is apparently no difference between bottom paints regardless of how expensive or cheap it was.
The key to choosing a bottom paint is not the concentration of copper but rather how available the copper is which has nothing to do with $$$.
Interestingly, there are still those who continue to use 66 et.al. because it's more expensive and therefore "must be better".

#3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I'd be interested in which paints that they (Brewer Marina folks) use.

Also, what clarification, if any, can you provide for your statement
The key to choosing a bottom paint is not the concentration of copper but rather how available the copper is which has nothing to do with $$$.
I am thinking of using a WM paint or even a cheaper Interlux paint this season.

DrB

#5 ·
I think WWilson is referring to the WM CPP bottom paint which is what a large number of folks at my Brewer marina were recommended (no financial benefit derived to the marina or the workers).
Regarding the copper consideration, most brands advertize copper content as a percentage by either weight or volume, don't know which. That has a limited bearing on the efficacy of it's antifouling properties and can be misleading.

The amount of copper which solubilizes is the principle characteristic which determines efficacy and cannot be so readily determined from marketing info. The only empirical data I've ever seen by PS magazine is limited and I do not have a readily available link to which I can refer you.

Essentially, the article made no definitive "best" finding for all conditions and locations as you can expect and as I recall made no declarative statements other than to say copper content and copper availability are mutually exclusive things.

#6 ·
^^^^^^Cool, and thanks.

I will probably try the WM CPP paint and see how it works. If well, I'll add to your rep points!

DrB

#9 ·
Commercial fisherman are the cheapest boaters on the planet. They ain't spending any money on bottom paint they don't have to. Take a look at the bottoms of the nearest commercial fleet- they are likely going to be nasty foul. Remember too, that commercial fishing boats probably get more use than yours does and at higher speeds, to boot. Then go ahead, use what they use, see how well it does for you. It's your dime. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.