Join Date: Oct 2007
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 10
I just thought I'd update this thread with the final results of my transducer installation and a few lessons learned.
First of all, thanks for the advice. SD, the idea of using a ziplock bag full of water to take a test depth reading didn't work- I couldn't get a reading through it. I just made a little well with modeling putty (the kids kind) and filled it with water. After finding a good place to install the 2 transducers (fishfinder and GPS/fishfinder combo), I cleaned the area carefully and put a blob of silicone on the hull. Then I smoothed it with my finger, taking out any air bubbles, but leaving a thick layer of silicone. Then I carefully pushed the transducer into the silicone, squeezing out any bubbles. I am able to get a good depth reading and bottom image and if I ever decide to remove or move the transducer, it'll be a snap (something not easy to do if you use epoxy resin to bed the transducer). For added caution I cut a piece of PVC pipe to put around the transducer to protect it from getting banged out of place. I thought it might be useful to share this experience to provide another method for installing this kind of transducer besides using epoxy resin or making a PVC pipe 'pool' filled with liquid.