Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2010

alex909 is on a distinguished road
Antifouling and Zincing a Kiwi Prop

All,
I just purchased a Kiwi Prop for my Beneteau 343 which I need to get on the boat this weekend. I have some Micron Extra to apply to the unit and am wondering how you think I should do this to the stainless steel hub. The blades are easy, I'll just lightly sand the composite material and apply the paint directly without primer. For the hub, I probably need to prime the metal surface before brushing on the paint. Do I need to buy marine primer or could I just use a household metal spray primer? Would rather not spend $35 for the marine stuff when I'll only need a brush or two of it.

Also, the fixed prop that was on the boat had a cone type zinc at the end of the shaft and the new Kiwi doesn't have any accommodations on the unit for a zinc. I read somewhere that the Kiwi doesn't need a zinc because of its stainless and composite construction. Is this true? Does the shaft need any protection? There is very limited space between the bearing and the prop, and I am thinking that there isn't enough space on the shaft for a collar zinc.

Your sage input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alex
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Don't paint the prop with Micron Extra!!!! Use some thing like Pettit Barnacle Barrier Zinc Spray. http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ds/1179320.pdf

Although I am not familiar with the kiwi prop, you need some zincs somewhere on the shaft, I have two and my Autostream folding prop has a zinc as well.

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2010

Call them

Underwater Metals:

Contact the Interlux® Technical Service Department at 1-800-468-7589 for details on how to properly prime underwater metals. Do not use on aluminum.
Old 04-01-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
There are special limited-clearance collar zinc available the metric size your Beneteau uses. Here's a link:

Beneteau Collar Zinc Anodes
Old 04-01-2010

Um, maybe I was incorrect

Kiwi Feather Propeller - Anti Fouling

ANTIFOULING:
To maintain the performance of any propeller it is essential to keep both faces, the leading edges of the foils and in particular the tips clean. Barnacles and weed growth will have a serious impact on motoring performance.

Barnacles will attach themselves to the Zytel blades with the same alacrity as to any other surface subject to fouling.
We do not make recommendations as to any particular antifouling product as we find that particular locations seem to require particular products that are more suited to that particular environment. Water temperature, light, current, salinity, dissolved solids and vessel usage all seem to have a significant impact on antifouling performance.

We recommend painting the whole propeller with a modern ablative antifouling which can be applied directly to the unit. The Zytel™ and Delrin™ require no special undercoats.
While the paint will slowly erode from the tips of the blades over time this approach will still provide the best overall solution to fouling of the propeller.

If not using a soft ablative paint that will wear away quickly with any contact from a moving blade, then care must be taken to ensure that the bottom root surface of the blade does not start to bind on the boss from a buildup of antifouling over time.

All Saildrives require non copper based antifouling.
Always use the same antifouling on the propeller as the Saildrive.
NB: Ensure there are no paint runs on the blade – in particular near the sharp leading edge that can cause serious vibration problems.

PROPSPEED:
We have found from observations over the years of quite a number of units in service that this type of antifoul is very effective when applied to the composite sections of the Kiwiprop™.
It shows no tendency to lose it’s adhesion to the Zytel™ and has proved effective over time.
Old 04-01-2010

alex909 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for comments everyone. I ordered the donut zincs which should be here tomorrow, now just need to figure out how to best paint the hub.

T37Chef, I was originally with you and thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to paint the whole prop, but that's what the dealer and manufacturer recommends.