Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2003

cptn seaweed is on a distinguished road
Mast Painting

I have painted several masts. remove all the stuff you can, sand, prime & paint with a brush, roller or spray. Our best paint job was done with the roll & tip method using Brightside paint. The manifacturer instructions will lead you to a beautiful job.
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2003

BertV is on a distinguished road
Mast Painting

I''m in the process of painting the mast on my Islander 30 as I type. Using International two part Interthane. I''ve done this before on a previous boat (12 years ago) and it still looks like new. It is a tough paint to apply right but the finish is great. The solvents and paints (prime wash, primer and finish) smell real bad. I''ve pretty well finished the boom, mast step and spreaders, starting next week on the 40 ft mast in the garage (keep the doors open through the laundry room and into the workshop!). The paint is expensive as are the thinners. I calculated that the entire paint job will cost be about $300.00. But it is an enormous amount of work. The mast is 25 years old and badly corroded. Lots of sanding and filling, let alone trying to get the stainless fittings off (can you say grinding and drilling?!?) And then while it''s down the wiring will be replaced, the halyards put inside, new lights and new rigging to go with the Harken furler. Lots of fun (and money!). Good luck.
Old 03-05-2003

WASSERNUT is on a distinguished road
Mast Painting

Ken, In my opinion 2500. is a very reasonable estimate for unstepping, stripping, preparing, painting, reassembling, restepping and retuning the rig.
You would be well advised to take lots of pics or even video the mast and fittings before the disassembly starts wether you have it done by the yard or do it yourself.
While the rig is down consider everything else you might want to do. Such as tri-color light, new wiring, antenna, lightning dissapter, conduit if you don''t have it now, etc. etc. Any mast work goes easier and faster when it''s laying on horses.
Make sure that the threads of any fasteners that are added after the paint job are coated with an insulating material to prevent corrosion.
Bottom line: this is a big job and you should be prepared to be involved every step of the way no matter who does the actual work. Good luck
Old 03-05-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
Mast Painting

Thanks for all the input folks. I think I''ll try to do the mast next year,It''s 70 degrees today and the water is calling,besides the budget is shot for this year and I still have to find a source for teak in the bay area I''m just not use to paying ten a board foot for solid woods would a spruce or fir hold up on a grating?
Old 03-05-2003

llee is on a distinguished road
Mast Painting

Ken, the only places I''ve found here in the Bay Area are

1. Axelrod & Co. Teak - 415-626-4949

2. Exotic Hardwoods & Veniers - 510-436-5702

3. Handloggers 305 Cutting Blvd., Richmond, CA 94804 Tollfree: 800-461-1969 Tel: 510-231-6190

3. McBeath Hardwoods -510-843-4390; 415-647-0782

4. White Bros. Lumber -510-261-1600

5. Woods Unlimited -510-895-5266

As far as I know and heard Spruce and Fir won''t hold up out there. It''s far too acidic.
Old 03-05-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mast Painting

Check on a wood called Afromosia...same properties as Teak....same look....much cheaper!
Old 02-21-2009

sailorsloopy is on a distinguished road
Geees!Here I was thinking about doing my mast and boom, also. It's 36 years old, an original Spartan on my Cape Dory 25'. I've done everything else on my boat, from top to bottom, and although I know it would be a lot of work, time and effort, I can't see how it would be all that expensive. On the other hand, maybe prices have gone up quite a bit since I last did a major project. Maybe I'll just get a 12VDC blender and start making some margaritas and think about this for a few years!
Fair winds.....
sailorsloopy
Old 02-21-2009

kale is on a distinguished road
mast painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptn seaweed View Post
I have painted several masts. remove all the stuff you can, sand, prime & paint with a brush, roller or spray. Our best paint job was done with the roll & tip method using Brightside paint. The manifacturer instructions will lead you to a beautiful job.
John
Capt Sea Weed has got it right, sand with 80 grit then 220 then etching primer. I shot mine with urethane 2 part light grey it came out automotive finish just get a good prep its only aluminum
Old 02-21-2009

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
Ken…

When you finish your mast painting you’ll need something to make you chuckle…your search for teak reminded me of this story…A sailor in San Rafael called a local lumber company and asked if they carried teak wood.

Oh si, senor, said the helpful clerk who answered the phone. We have lots of teak wood.

Great, said the San Rafael sailor, I’ll be right down. When the sailor arrived at the lumberyard he found mahogany, rosewood and apitong but no teak. Frustrated he went to the front desk.

Hi, he said, I called earlier and you said you had teak wood here but I can’t fine it.

Oh pardon, senor… we have lots of teak wood. What kind do you want and how teak do you want it… one inch or two inch teak.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdreamspress; 02-21-2009 at 09:17 PM.