Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-02-2010

Polypterus is on a distinguished road
Barient 28 base diameter

As some of you know I recently bought an old Swan 37. I was looking into replacing the old jib sheet winches with self tailing winches. Unfortunately the boat is still 400 miles away and last time I looked at it I didn't have calipers so I couldn't get a good measurement of the previous winches. The design is such that the winch fits into a cutout on the outside of the cockpit coaming so the base diameter is important. The winches are labeled "Barient stainless 28". They arenít made anymore but fit almost perfectly into the cutouts. What I would like to find out is if anyone knows the base diameter of these winches so I can find something close. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Winch Comparisons

Look down the list for the Barient 28... looks like an 8" base. I found lots of exploded drawings and info, but no real dimensional drawings. Good luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-02-2010

Thanks. It looks like 8" base is for the self tailing version. I would guess it's the same for the non-self tailing but I hate to order the wrong thing and go through a big hassle of returning them. When I tried to measure it with a tape measure it looked about 8" but I couldn't get right down on the base so this measurement is just approximate. It might have been only 7 ĺ" or something, which could be a big deal since I'm considering ordering Andersen 52 ST FS winches which are 7 7/8". I was thinking the non-self tailing might be older and therefore have a slightly different size. Maybe I'll just have to get some calipers and go down there again
Old 04-02-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes, you don't want to make a mistake at those prices, but I'm betting the B28 base is the same, ST or not. It's the topworks that are modified for the self tailing option.

You may also have an issue with the bolt patterns for the different brands.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You may also have an issue with the bolt patterns for the different brands.
Probably, but at least that's solvable. I can fill the holes and re-drill. If the winch base is too big I'm SOL.
Old 04-02-2010
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
I have no experience using these guys, but they provide conversion Kits for Bariet 27 to 35 Barient and Balow.

Self-Tailing Winch Conversion fits Barient, Barlow, Cathay, Universal and others: Winchmate

You can also get spare parts for your Barient/Barlows here - pretty good service HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches

enjoy......

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.