Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-02-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Is this a good deal for chesapeake bay sailing? MD and VA

Would like to get a GPS for cruising and racing but have never had one before. I want to make sure that "COASTAL CHARTS" includes the ches bay.

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32815/vpid/7278596/vpcsid/0/rid/134139
Old 04-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That does look like a good deal....but what warranty is offered with the unit? Is it factory refurbished???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I Think the Colorado is a good unit, But I think you might have to purchase unlock codes to get the detailed chesapeake bay charts.

The mapsource CD ( accesories) allows you to plan routes and trips at home on your laptop or desktop and then you can upload to the handheld.

I'd check with garmin or this vendor...on the level of chart detail.

I have the Garmin 76 csx and had to purchase unlock codes.

if so, you've got to figure in another expense.
Old 04-02-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I have the GPSMAP 441 (I think that's the right number for coastal charts) and have plenty of detail in the Bay. Mapsource is no longer the PC program Garmin uses. Check the website for details. I think the new one costs around $30.
________
Colorado medical marijuana

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
The OP's link indicates its refurbished but with a 1 year manufaturer's warranty which is standard for Garmin. I think it is a good deal even for a refurbished model but I'd check some online retailers to compare.

I don't believe it needs any unlock codes. I just got a Garmin Oregon 400c touchscreen for $299 with every US coastal chart (as far as I can tell) preloaded. But don't believe me check with Garmin.

I think the pronary difference betwen the Oregon and Colorodo series is touch screen vs pinwheel.
Old 04-02-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
The ad says g2 loaded. it looks like, If it's this coverage you should be good.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...989#productTab

Nick,

Mapsource is still used as far as I know, I dowloaded it again last month with updates. I haven't seen another windows based system from garmin?
Old 04-02-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
FWIW I tried Garmin Colorado last year and hated it. I would not use it as either a primary or a secondary navigation device (if you are interested - search for my post on the topic, it is a long saga with Defender in it, but the device review comes first).

The deal looks ok, but it ain't much more new ($285 at Amazon with free shipping)
Old 04-03-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
FYI:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the fact that a product is labeled "refurbished" That doesn't necessarily mean what it says and if the warranty is good then there is little need to be concerned.

In todays digital market anything that has been returned to the manufacturer for any reason can be inspected and resold as refurbished. Most of the time the units are new and have never been removed from their original packaging. Outlets specializing in refurbished units offer them at discounted prices all the time.
Old 04-03-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I will second fparry's assertion that refurbished is not a big deal. I have bought many refurbished power tools and electronics. As long as the OEM inspects and certifies them they usually have the same warranty. So, you get a like new unit at a huge discount with a standard warranty. Not a bad deal.

Tempest,

You can still get Mapsource updates, however you need to already have purchased the software. The new program Garmin is selling is Home Port. Some of the newer units, from what I understand, will not work with Mapsource.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I have the Oregon 400c, and am generally happy with it for my purposes. I bought a $10 bicycle handlebar mount and put it at the top of my pedestal guard, so it's right where I need it, but I can easily remove it when I'm away from the boat.

Rather than pay for their chart plotting software, I use SeaClear with the free NOAA download raster charts to plot routes on my computer, and use the free g7towin software with Garmin's free Spanner software to translate between the Garmin and SeaClear file formats for waypoints, routes, and tracks. So I have nice routes in the Garmin device for all the places I need to go. I can also hook the Oregon directly to my netbook and use it as the receiver to view the boat's position, SOG, etc. directly in SeaClear. I expect that the Colorado works similarly.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)